Discontinued products you wish would/could come back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is kinda sad though tbh it's not a game changer for me now. 20-30 years ago that was one of my go-to beers because it was a flavorful tasty ale compared to the macro crap, but in the last...15 years...there's plenty of flavorful go-tos now...

Cheers!

wait, i still don't know what happened to these either....

1676140276810.png

Single use plastic bags are far more harmful and wasteful than paper bags. At least paper bags can be recycled. As long as they are reused, then reusable bags are a decent answer (whether that be paper, fabric, or even plastic if necessary).

And heck, single use plastics in general are awful. Plastic recycling is a myth. I find the thick disposable plastic drink cups and foam coffee cups especially infuriating. What's wrong with the cardboard cups that were fine for years?

Single use plastic bags are far more harmful and wasteful than paper bags. At least paper bags can be recycled. As long as they are reused, then reusable bags are a decent answer (whether that be paper, fabric, or even plastic if necessary).

And heck, single use plastics in general are awful. Plastic recycling is a myth. I find the thick disposable plastic drink cups and foam coffee cups especially infuriating. What's wrong with the cardboard cups that were fine for years?
Get shopping bags that will hold up for multiple uses. Preferably cloth bags. Take them with you when you go shopping. Keep a few in you car for unplanned shopping.

Get shopping bags that will hold up for multiple uses. Preferably cloth bags. Take them with you when you go shopping. Keep a few in you car for unplanned shopping.

i was a bag boy at a grocery store for a while, i always hated those people, lol if they want me to use their damn bags then they have to start paying more, so my CEO overlords don't have me trying to work like a crack fiend's pace.....

in my head the only place reusable bags are appropriate, are a hippie health food store....

well if you liked them, and it has choclate 'malt' in the name...? but honestly, i just want to post the dough boy above it.....

i was a bag boy at a grocery store for a while, i always hated those people, lol if they want me to use their damn bags then they have to start paying more, so my CEO overlords don't have me trying to work like a crack fiend's pace.....

in my head the only place reusable bags are appropriate, are a hippie health food store....
I feel like the attitude changes a bit once the single use bags are outlawed and everyone has reusable bags. Now the baggers just instinctively grab your resuable bags from your cart when you get to the checkout!

"According to the UNEP report, a cotton bag needs to be used 50 to 150 times to have less impact on the climate compared with one single-use plastic bag."

and

"A 2018 Danish Environmental Protection Agency report suggested that a cotton bag should be used at least 7,100 times to offset its environment impact when compared to a classic supermarket plastic bag that’s reused once as a trash bag and then incinerated. (If that cotton is organic, the figure is an eye-popping 20,000 times, with the report assuming a lower yield but the same input of raw materials.)"

Shop harder out there! o_O

Blasphemy!

Single-use plastic bags are the New Mexico state bird. All the trees are full of them.

OH!

I didn't mention any products I miss...

1) Windows XP

2) Cheetos Lip Balm

And most important 3) : the original Mc Donalds fries cooked in beef lard. Nothing today compares.

Last edited:
"According to the UNEP report, a cotton bag needs to be used 50 to 150 times to have less impact on the climate compared with one single-use plastic bag."

and

"A 2018 Danish Environmental Protection Agency report suggested that a cotton bag should be used at least 7,100 times to offset its environment impact when compared to a classic supermarket plastic bag that’s reused once as a trash bag and then incinerated. (If that cotton is organic, the figure is an eye-popping 20,000 times, with the report assuming a lower yield but the same input of raw materials.)"

Shop harder out there! o_O
Too bad the Danish report is in Danish(?) and I can't read it. Anyhow, I have mostly plastic bags and have easily used them 100 times each, or more.

While I do not disagree, there needs to be a caveat. In NJ, no supermarket or convenience store can distribute shopping bags, paper or plastic.

For bulk shopping, its not a problem, as I have now accumulated about 30 of the burlap/fabric shopping bags. But the quick trips in and out, where you are most likely to forget your bag, you either are forced to spend another $1, to purchase a new bag in the store, or try to fumble with your items without dropping them. At least let stores provide paper bags.

The real dumb part of this law is that it only applies (for the most part) to stores that sell food. I can go to any retail store in the mall, buy whatever, and get a shopping bag.

While I do not disagree, there needs to be a caveat. In NJ, no supermarket or convenience store can distribute shopping bags, paper or plastic.

For bulk shopping, its not a problem, as I have now accumulated about 30 of the burlap/fabric shopping bags. But the quick trips in and out, where you are most likely to forget your bag, you either are forced to spend another $1, to purchase a new bag in the store, or try to fumble with your items without dropping them. At least let stores provide paper bags.

The real dumb part of this law is that it only applies (for the most part) to stores that sell food. I can go to any retail store in the mall, buy whatever, and get a shopping bag.

These reusable bags are great. No more fighting with the bulky reusable bags they sell at the stores. Love them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B7TVXWR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah that is dumb; they should apply it everywhere and also allow paper bags in those cases. Here in NY, they've not applied the plastic bag rule for restaurants either for some reason. But at least we allow stores to provide paper bags, albeit with a 5 cent per bag tax assessed to discourage their use.

Yeah that is dumb; they should apply it everywhere and also allow paper bags in those cases. Here in NY, they've not applied the plastic bag rule for restaurants either for some reason. But at least we allow stores to provide paper bags, albeit with a 5 cent per bag tax assessed to discourage their use.

I would gladly pay a $.05 surcharge for a paper bag with handles.

Aww... to heck with bags..
Bring back chocolate made by choclatiers and destroy Nestle!!!!
I miss 'real' Coffee-Crisps, Kit-Kats, Twix and such... Nestle destroyed the chocolate, making it all taste like soap because they can save a few pennies per ton by replacing the emulsifier Lecithin, with "Amoniated Salt of Phospherated Glyceride" and later, a product from soy-beans GMO'd to produce such and now all their 'chocolate' tastes like soap!

I would gladly pay a $.05 surcharge for a paper bag with handles.
The handles tear off the paper bags now. They are worthless. What you want are 1/6 BBL paper bags without handles. But maybe those are now made with paper recycled so many times the fibers are too short and they rip as soon as you try to pick them up. (just like the ones with handles)

I like paper bags, I just can't find decent ones. Paper or plastic, I reuse them a couple of times, then use them for a trash bag.

The handles tear off the paper bags now. They are worthless. What you want are 1/6 BBL paper bags without handles. But maybe those are now made with paper recycled so many times the fibers are too short and they rip as soon as you try to pick them up. (just like the ones with handles)

I like paper bags, I just can't find decent ones. Paper or plastic, I reuse them a couple of times, then use them for a trash bag.
You forgot to say, "And you damn kids get off my lawn!" :p

It is amazing what modern technology can bring us. I never thought I would hear someone complain that paper bags just aren't the same as "when I was a boy!" lol

Ok everyone, it's time to let go of the paper vs. plastic vs. cloth bag discussion. If you want to continue, please start a thread in the "Debate" forum. New posts on this topic here will be deleted.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Back