Disaster Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holecamels

Reaction score
I brewed my first extract kit about a year ago, and it came out pretty good. My second batch, I decided should be all grain. I did a bit of quick research, and apparently it was so quick the only thing that my brain processed was "AG isn't that much harder to do than extract". So I ordered an AG Blonde Ale kit from Midwest Supplies. It came in and I decided to jump right in.

I started brewing by the directions, and about half way through I realized that I was missing a few pieces of important equipment; a mash tun, and a pot that can handle a 5 gallon boil. I decided that my 6.5 gallon ale pail bottling bucket would be my mash tun, and my 4 gallon pot would boil my 5 gallons of mash. Little did I know, a mash tun needs some type of filter or it will clog. It did clog, and nothing came out of the spigot... until I decided to loosen it and let the mash drip from the fitting into a bucket. It took so long to drip (about an hour), that I decided that I didn't feel like waiting to use all the sparge water and just dumped what I had into my 4 gallon pot. Well I had more than 4 gallons of mash, so I ended up throwing out a gallon or so. After the boil I ended up with 3.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch. I said F it, dumped it in the fermenter and split the yeast in half. Oh yeah and I forgot to take an OG reading. The FG was right where it needed to be though.

I just tasted the beer today and it definitely has way too much alcohol and tastes a little odd, but it's not that bad (but not that good). I guess the moral of this story is if you do things remotely right your beer will probably come out pretty good and if you totally mess up just finish making it anyway because it might not be that bad.

I brewed my first extract kit about a year ago, and it came out pretty good. My second batch, I decided should be all grain. I did a bit of quick research, and apparently it was so quick the only thing that my brain processed was "AG isn't that much harder to do than extract". So I ordered an AG Blonde Ale kit from Midwest Supplies. It came in and I decided to jump right in.

I started brewing by the directions, and about half way through I realized that I was missing a few pieces of important equipment; a mash tun, and a pot that can handle a 5 gallon boil. I decided that my 6.5 gallon ale pail bottling bucket would be my mash tun, and my 4 gallon pot would boil my 5 gallons of mash. Little did I know, a mash tun needs some type of filter or it will clog. It did clog, and nothing came out of the spigot... until I decided to loosen it and let the mash drip from the fitting into a bucket. It took so long to drip (about an hour), that I decided that I didn't feel like waiting to use all the sparge water and just dumped what I had into my 4 gallon pot. Well I had more than 4 gallons of mash, so I ended up throwing out a gallon or so. After the boil I ended up with 3.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch. I said F it, dumped it in the fermenter and split the yeast in half. Oh yeah and I forgot to take an OG reading. The FG was right where it needed to be though.

I just tasted the beer today and it definitely has way too much alcohol and tastes a little odd, but it's not that bad (but not that good). I guess the moral of this story is if you do things remotely right your beer will probably come out pretty good and if you totally mess up just finish making it anyway because it might not be that bad.

LOL, you cant make that up.

You learned so much from that. I promise you will be a more informed brewer from this!

you did manage to learn a very very valuable lesson. great first post man, freaking funny. My first wine grew fur and climbed out the fermenter, no lie.

Yeah I just kind of jumped into it without knowing anything. It was a lot easier doing research after going through the process though, just having a better frame of reference. My second AG batch went a lot smoother. I put together a 5 gal rubbermaid mash tun and bought a 7.5 gal pot.

I can't believe you didn't just trash it halfway through. I would have been pissed, at myself of course, but just pissed.

Update: Just tried it this weekend and it tasted awful. Too much alcohol or something. Not enough sparge water? So... just kidding about the "it might not be that bad" comment.

You seem like a smart enough guy so this should just be an awesome story in a year or so when you're turning out great batches. If you're willing to go through what you did there and still pitch yeast at the end of the day, you'll be in heaven with proper equipment. If you need some direction, John Palmer's How to Brew is a great read for new brewers. The first edition is available online, and the worthwhile updated version can be purchased.

Here's a link to the AG section of the online How to Brew if you're interested: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/index.html

Thanks for sharing and cheers :mug:

Latest posts

Back