Disassembly of Ranco thermometer probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.bsd-unix.net/~bsdx/index.php?dir=pics/inside-ranco-probe/

Its not pretty and I'm not one to do things cleanly. My goal was to see what you would have to do to get it apart if water got in there, and how to potentially fix it. I used vise grip pliers, needle nose pliers, and an xacto knife near the end. I first started by trying to compress/crack the end where the wire was entering since it had visible epoxy. Even though the outer casing looked molded, I got it off by crushing it slightly until it cracked, then used needle nose pliers to peel it back like a banana. The inner layer was probably epoxy surrounding the wires. I was probably lucky I didn't crush the glass thermistor, now that I know where it is. I basically crushed portions and picked it apart. It still seems to work as is but I obviously need to re-protect it before serious use, especially in wet/metal applications.

Back