Disappointed with Carared color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDubWill

Reaction score
I did some research and a few people reported good results getting a nice red color using around 7-8% Carared in their beers. I was clearing my end of year left over grains so I brewed a lager using 8.6% Carared, 60% pale malt, 12% flaked rye, 18% flaked rice, and 1.4% acid malt. I was really wanting at least a red hue to the beer, and as you can see it looks great in the carboy but transferring it the keg it just looks golden in the sample glass. Not that golden a bad thing, just not what I was going for. Has anyone had better color from Carared, and if so what percentage did you use? I think i'll stick with roasted barley from now on.

Denny's Waldo Lake Amber comes out nice and ambery (reddish) and used 14% carared, plus a bunch of munich.

In addition to the cara- malts, use a tiny bit of black malt (it will help to impart a redder color without any prominent flavor changes). Don't go overboard though... I'm talking 1-2 ounces black malt per 5 gallons of beer.

Using both works better than just using carared, or just using black roasted barley malt.

I've never used Carared before but if your looking for a nice red brew try a 100% Red X brew in the 1.050-1.060 range. I think Red X is a mix of Munich and Melanoidin and it gives you a nice malty red brew.

I'm not a big fan of melanoidin malts. I've used it a couple of times replacing the decoction I normally do for my helles and O'fest lagers but I pick up an odd malty, almost musty, flavor I don't like with it. Thanks for the recipe suggestions, i'll give them a look.

There are a few threads on how to achieve a red color and the majority of people have said that Carared is not an effective way to do it. Roasted barley or black malt or maybe chocolate malt or crystal 120 are usually suggested. RedX hasn't been around that long but is clearly meant to give a red color. I haven't tried it yet so can't say how the taste is.

Back