Disappointed in my V-vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
this freakin thing.........arghhhh!!!! maybe i'm dumb, but how the hell do i get the sediment out of it? I don't use it anymore b/c it's frustrating. But when i did, I'd try to get rid of the trub by opening the valve and nothing comes out. I even put the bulb on it and leave it for a day and i'd get a little trub but mostly brew in the bulb. I can get the trub out more quickly if i shove something down there and poke at it, but once i poke a hole, mostly beer comes out while the rest of the trub sticks to the sides. What is it with this thing? I didn't come with instructions on how to make it not suck and since it's such a pain in the ace, i just use my carboys now instead. Anyone got one of these things? What's your method?

There's one that keeps popping up on Denver's Craigslist. Never heard of it before, and sorry, but looking at the picture, it looks like a horrible product. You have my sympathy.

isn't there an owners' manual?
Can't say I've used one, but I've seen people (online) who do and seem happy.
I believe you're supposed to leave the ball on and valve open during fermentation so the yeast settles in the ball. To harvest yeast/remove trub, close the valve and remove the ball.

Never used one before, but how long are you letting it sit before trying to dump? If you wait too long the trub will be too compacted to flow out the valve. I'v heard of this happening with stainless conical fermenters before as well.

I believe you're supposed to leave the ball on and valve open during fermentation so the yeast settles in the ball. To harvest yeast/remove trub, close the valve and remove the ball.

^This makes sense. Valve should always remain open during fermentation, and only closed when removing the ball. Are you doing it this way?

I have one. Used it for a few batches of beer and it worked fine, I just started doing 10 gallons so I stopped using it. You need to tap the sides of the fermenter as the brew is progressing if you have a lot of trub. Ideally you don't want to be transferring the break material to the V V.

I've also used it for wine and it works a lot better for the original purpose.

yeah, maybe it is for wine, but my LHBS in tallahassee sold it to me 8 yrs ago when i was a novice, as a fermentation vessel for beer.

I have left the valve open during fermentation, but it seems to hinder the fermentation a bit when it starts to slow down.

It only came with a paper showing how to attach it to the wall (wow, 2 bolts! thanks for those incredibly insightful instructions instead of an owners manual). I've never seen anyone use it online. I only keep it in there for the requisite 7-10 days of fermentation, then i attempt to drain the trub.

ok, so it seems like most people don't know about this thing.......so, IMO, save your frustration and don't wonder anymore, its not very fun/effective to brew with. And, lmao, yes, it is a "horrible product", not by design, but by functionality

Back