DIPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper86

Reaction score
I have tried a few attempts at making a DIPA with not all that great of results. What I have found is that they have a very sweet taste, most likely due to the higher FG. I have come up with the following recipe for a very piney, dry DIPA. Please take a look at this and let me know your opinions in hopes of this DIPA recipe being much better than the last.

5 gal all grain: mash eff. 72%. 75 min total boil
16 lbs rahr 2-row
8 oz. carapils
4 oz. c-10
2 oz. caramunich
8 oz. dextrine 15 min boil
1 oz. warrior 75 min
1 oz. Columbus 75 min
1 oz. chinook 0 min
1 oz. simcoe 0 min
1 oz. chinook 15 min whirlpool
2 oz. simcoe dry hop 7 days

For a beer to finish dry, you need to mash low ( 149F/65C ), do not overdo the crystal malts and use some sugar in the boil.

You should stick to one type of crystal. My recommendation would be Carabelge ( or anything similar in flavour, not just lovibond ) from Weyermann. So 95% Pale and 5% Crystal.

But I have made 8% DIPAs which had quite a lot of crystal malt, but it did not turn sweet, nor cloying. The FG in my case was 1.016.

More hops at 5 min or after (DH) and maybe only 1 oz at 75.

That recipe looks good. I would use 2 packs of american ale yeast, rehydrated if dry yeast is used.
These IIPAs are also very prone to oxygenation if exposed to air. Do everything possible to limit exposure.
My most delicious IIPAs are :
OG 1.075-1.085 and almost always finish at 1.012.

Geeze all my latest brews have been too bitter...

Did this one and mashed at 154
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/russian-river-pliny-the-elder-clone/

Not a bad beer by any means but would like to learn how to make my beers a little bit sweeter.

Pliny the Elder is supposed to end up very dry. However, if you want to make it sweeter, drop the sugar and replace with base malt, up the amount of crystal malt, or mash at a higher temperature.

Well if that's the problem then the first thing to do is to reduce your bittering hops, rather than making beer that's too bitter AND too sweet... Without wanting to suck eggs, have you checked the alpha content of your Columbus and adjusted accordingly? That HBA recipe assumes less than 14% alpha, my supplier has 2016 Columbus at over 18%.

And some people are just more sensitive to bitterness than others - you're the head brewer, you decide what level of bitterness is "right" for you.

I'd caution against going overboard on the crystal though, but also look at using a less attenuating yeast, which will usually also drop better.

Did this one and mashed at 154
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/russian-river-pliny-the-elder-clone/

Not a bad beer by any means but would like to learn how to make my beers a little bit sweeter.

I had some harsh bitterness in my IPAs until I looked into my water and found that my mash pH was too high, as was my sparge water pH. Once I fixed that, I still got the firm bitterness I wanted in bigger DIPAs, but without that lingering harsh bitterness. Can that be the issue with yours?

Local Brew Supply says we have the best water...

I'm moving to take the tips to drop the bitterness just a tad in the next batch. Personal palette seems to have something to do with it also. When first tasting my two brews on return from vacation, they tasted bitter. But now, they taste less bitter and it's likely drinking Imperials on vacation, skewed my palette a bit...

Back