DIPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtree2

Reaction score
I'm looking for thoughts on this DIPA recipe that I'm planning on brewing on Wednesday.

12 lbs. 2-row
1lb Victory
.5 lb Crystal 40
1.5 lb corn sugar (late add)
Single infusion at 150

1.5 oz Cascade FWH
1 oz Columbus 60
1 oz Columbus 30
1 oz Citra 10
1.5 oz Centennial 5
.5 oz Centennial dry hop 6 days
.5 oz Cascade dry hop 3 days
Fermenting with US-05

O.G. 1.079
IBU 105
SRM 8.5

It looks pretty good to me. I would change the hop schedule around a little bit. I think you will have a bitter beer with not a whole lot of hop flavor. I have never used FWH but I thought it was to replace the 60 min addition. With that in mind, I would do this:

1 oz Columbus FWH
1 oz Columbus 20 min
1 oz Citra 10 min
1.5 oz Centennial 5 min
1.5 oz Cascade Flameout (Or Hop Stand @180 for 30 min)
2 oz Centennial Dry Hop 6 days
2 oz Cascade Dry Hop 3 days

When I entered your recipe into BeerSmith it calculated your IBU at 132. This schedule is calculated at 110. I think you will get much better hop aroma and flavor with this schedule. I recently brewed a double IPA and only used 2 oz in the dry hop for 5 days and I wish I had at least doubled it, one ounce is definitely not enough for my tastes.

Hope this helps!

According to my beersmith mobile app that IBU calculation is accurate. FWH gives a nice round bitterness and a good amount of flavor so I want to incorporate that. This is also for a 90 min boil.

According to my beersmith mobile app that IBU calculation is accurate. FWH gives a nice round bitterness and a good amount of flavor so I want to incorporate that. This is also for a 90 min boil.

Interesting. I am using BeerSmith mobile also and my numbers are way different from yours. The numbers I got were for a 60 min boil. Obviously do what you want, I just think that 60 minute addition would be better later in the boil to give more flavor. No matter what you do, definitely up the dry hops.

Thank you for the advice. I will play with my beersmith I might have my setup off somehow. I did put this into brewer's friend and got closer to your numbers and will definitely tone down the bitterness. I did want to keep it around 100.

15# of grain to get 1.079 sounds like you're left with around 4 Gal unless your extract efficiency is silly high. I average 74% EE and it takes me closer to 18# to net 1.079 at 5 Gal.

Either way I would step mash this like I always do with my DIPA's. try 150/155 split 60min/15min.

FWH will give little to no flavor. You will get even less flavor from FWH than from a 60 minute bittering addition (which is also almost none).

I agree that you need way more late hop and dry hop additions. I liked WayFrae's hop schedule. I would add at least 5 oz of hops in the last 15 or so minutes of the boil.

Also you can't physically get more than about 85-100 IBU in a beer because the wort becomes saturated with isomerized alpha acids at around that concentration. So I wouldn't worry about the specific IBU number because with a DIPA you're pretty much just wanting to max it out anyway.

15# of grain to get 1.079 sounds like you're left with around 4 Gal unless your extract efficiency is silly high. I average 74% EE and it takes me closer to 18# to net 1.079 at 5 Gal.

Either way I would step mash this like I always do with my DIPA's. try 150/155 split 60min/15min.

Brewed it this afternoon and hit 1.076 @ 5.5gal. Which comes out to 72% efficiency according to both beersmith and brewer's friend. My last beer, an all Galaxy APA I hit 74%.

Back