Dilution Techniques Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewvy

Reaction score
I've brewed an American Lager with plans of finishing with 12.5 gallon of 1.054 sg wort to ferment in my sanke keg.My actual starting gravity is 1.062. I am thinking of adding a gallon of distilled water to the fermenter to achieve 13.5 gallons. Will two gallons of head space in my keg be enough for the kreusen, or will I just blow off a bunch of beer? I would prefer to dilute post fermentation.Assuming I add 10 percent distilled water post fermentation , would that in turn take 10% off the original gravity (1.062-0.0062=1.056) at least approximatly? Could I just boil the priming sugar(yes I'll be bottling all 14 gallons) in the entire gallon or so. I want a light summer drinkin' beer ,not another strong ale that I always seem to make.

To get your target gravity, you would need a total volume of 13.8 gallons. I would just boil the 1.3 gallons of water with the priming sugar and add it all at the same time.

Back