Diluting beer post fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi. I brewed a Helles a few weeks back for my 80yo Dad. He loves the previous batches. I was aiming for 1.049 OG but ended up 1.061

Looking like 1.011 FG

Any ideas on diluting it?

Or should i just tell him to add a little water to the glass before pouring from the keg 😆 (kind of serious)

I guess i could keep it for myself and brew him another batch.

Others experience may differ, but I'm one of those who, if given a coffee or tea that was made too strong and then someone added water, I'd always taste too-strong coffee or tea with water added....Even when served beer in a glass that'd been freshly rinsed but not dried; I taste the rinse-water in the beer. Maybe if you start with RO water and build the same profile you brewed it with you could do it, otherwise just brew another batch.
Just my own opinion.
If you do try it, please come back and let us know what you chose to do and how it worked out
:bigmug:

When I am filling bottles, there is almost always a half-full bottle at the end. I add tap water. This is different because the yeast then work on the priming sugar, but it often turns out to be an amazing sample.

No serious issues with diluting it. Unless you modify the water profile it's going to affect ph and mineral content but that may not be a huge issue.

Use a good water source and I would add before kegging so you know the quality of beer every time. If he's adding tap water that tastes like chlorine/chloramine, it's not going to be as good of a beer.

High gravity brewing is common with big beer manufacturers. If you do decide to dilute the beer make sure you the deoxygenate the water first. I did this once with some beer leftover after kegging turned out fine.

Back