Digital temp sensor with alarm & timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I recently received an Ebay purchase. A digital meat thermometer / timer with an alarm. It has worked out superbly for brewing. I can set the strike water temp and go do something else, and the alarm get's my attention when the water is up to temp. I can switch mode to timer and time my hop additions (one setting only but it is easily resettable).

Lest some over zealous moderator decide that I'm a shill or has a hard on for the seller for some reason as recently happened, I will NOT provide a link to the item. It is described as: "Wireless Smoker Remote Dual 2 Probe Digital Barbecue Meat Thermometer", and the cost with shipping came to $7.44........ So far it has proven an excellent value, and I've used it on various things other than just brewing. It is NOT dual probe. It has a single probe which is armored by a stainless steel braid sheath which is very flexible.
Look it up yourself on Ebay....... I feel it is a superb value.

Moderator, please don't move this to the bottom of an unrelated thread,and kick me off the forum for a few days when I protest........ I'm just trying to help my fellow home brewers.

I used it yesterday doing back to back brews, and it allowed me to deal with one brew while the strike water was heating for the other, and also to alert me when my strike temp on the first brew was heated. I used it for timing my hop additions also. For a VERY CHEAP item, the quality appears pretty decent. The only downside I found was that I had to switch it off to shut the alarm off, and the switch is tiny. I suspect pulling out the probe would do the same thing, but didn't think of it. It's in the oven at the moment (the probe) as I'm preheating to bake bread.

H.W.

PS:
Note that the minutes / seconds buttons are up and down on temps. It defaults to celsius, but changes at the touch of a button.

temp_timer.jpg

I had a quick look at ebay but did only find models for over 20$. I normally use the thermapen but it would be great to have an alarm when the water is ready.

I had a quick look at ebay but did only find models for over 20$. I normally use the thermapen but it would be great to have an alarm when the water is ready.

I'll PM you with the link. Note that there are "more than 10 available" according to the listing. Price $6.45. The seller is a bit of a slow shipper compared to some.... It comes from Hong Kong.

H.W.

Thanks for this, is exactly what I was wanting last brewday doing back to back batches. Ordered one. I had to take "wireless" out of that search though before I found it.
Especially nice for not overshooting temp when making candi syrup.

Latest posts

Back