• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Oregon Digital Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingBigPDX

Reaction score
A digital refractometer is a pretty nice time saver, since it can measure OG with just 2 drops. I find I'm not brewing enough anymore to justify it and would like to put the money into something else (like a canonical fermentor). I've had mine for about a year and used it probably 100 times.

This is a real luxury item for serious home brewers, nano breweries, or even pros:

Atago 3810 PAL-1 Digital Hand-Held Pocket Refractometer
http://www.atago.net/USA/products_pal.php

It is $300 retail. I'd part with it for $150. I'd ship it for free USPS in the lower 48. Anybody interested?

img2.JPG

img1.JPG

I own the same one. Helluva price. I'm tempted to buy it just because of the great deal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I love mine. I got frustrated with my traditional refractometer when I'd put liquid from the same sample on and get drastically different results. I started to read that you need to take a few samples and average the results with them.
With this, I can repeatedly hit the button and see it either adjust as the temp equalizes, it it comes up within .01 brix each time.

However, there are cheaper digital refractometers available. Hannah and milwaukee come to mind. I haven't used them, so can't speak to any difference.
The Atago is submersible, which others may not be. Not a necessity, but good to know I can dip it under The faucet to clean.
As i told a friend homebrewer, I'd skip a traditional refractometer and go digital if you can afford to, and i believe this to be the top handheld model available.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Back