Difficulty Finding Way to Connect Delta Faucet to Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdouglas19

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Delta Trinsic 9159-DST faucet that I'm trying to connect to my wort chiller. I tried taking the aerator to my local hardware store to see which adapter I need but they said that Delta and Moen are using proprietary thread sizes, so there's no adapter that they're aware of that would work. I tried calling Delta to see if they have an adapter for what I need but weren't any help. Surely I'm not the only one that's had trouble finding an adapter for a Delta faucet hose to use an immersion chiller indoors. Anyone able to steer me into the right direction or have alternatives? Thanks.

Yup, teeing off the faucet cold water shutoff valve is likely the best option. There are adapters for that purpose, some with their own shutoff valves as well. It starts by knowing the threading on the existing shutoff valve and working outwards. Any big box store will have the pieces needed...

Cheers!

Yeah, I figured that with as little luck as I've had finding a specific adapter to the hose that I'd probably have to use something involving the lines under the sink. Thanks for the insight guys. Cheers!

Check out the water bandit on Amazon. I got one yesterday. My faucet is 1 1/8” and it fits over it easily could go on something bigger with no problem at all it is a graduated step where it slips over the faucet and hook up your garden hose. $5.56

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
I used one of those on a gooseneck bathroom sink, but it probably won't work on many pull-down kitchen faucets like this example:

1590111674171.png

I have a pulldown faucet. You take a wrench to the head you pull it out a little bit and there will be a place where you can throw a wrench on there and pull that sprayer head off and then you have just the faucet.

Yup, teeing off the faucet cold water shutoff valve is likely the best option. There are adapters for that purpose, some with their own shutoff valves as well. It starts by knowing the threading on the existing shutoff valve and working outwards. Any big box store will have the pieces needed...

Cheers!
I had a helluva hard time getting the parts for a tee off my shutoff from Lowes. Part of it was the Chinese faucet I was adding on. I ended up needing to go online as I don't have a second option. If I had to do it again I would just tee off the pex line myself and toss another valve on. Depends on the tools you have though, plumbing skills, and the piping in place. If the supply comes in from the floor that might work easier. Good point to know the threading.

I have a pulldown faucet. You take a wrench to the head you pull it out a little bit and there will be a place where you can throw a wrench on there and pull that sprayer head off and then you have just the faucet.

Not on mine. There's not a single hex section anywhere on this faucet save for the supply line ends. Indeed there's nothing threaded in the connection between the pull-down tube and the head. It's all plastic bits with retainer clips, with a plastic male end sporting an integrated O-ring that plugs and snaps into the pull-down head.

Not an issue for me - I have a big, cheap, plastic slop sink in my brew space - but if I didn't I'd definitely be looking at an under-sink solution like teeing the cold water shutoff...

Cheers!

If you or a friend has a 3-d printer, search thingiverse for adapters that may work. I found a moen adapter that works with my brew kitchen sink so that's what i use with my immersion chiller snd water filter now. Cost about 10c in materials to make.

Check out the water bandit on Amazon. I got one yesterday. My faucet is 1 1/8” and it fits over it easily could go on something bigger with no problem at all it is a graduated step where it slips over the faucet and hook up your garden hose. $5.56

I'd be willing to try the Water Bandit to avoid tinkering with a tee setup if I can. Do you think it would fit this attachment even with the toggle switch being so close to the end?

Attachments

• Delta Trinsic Faucet.jpg
    Delta Trinsic Faucet.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 58
OK when I pull the head off my faucet it measures an inch and an eighth. The first opening on the water bandit is 1 inch and then it gets smaller about every eighth of an inch. it stretches pretty good you could put it over something a lot bigger than what I have. Now as far as your button in there I don’t think it would go over that but I think that you only need about a half inch and you are good. I would go for it here’s a couple of pictures if that might help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    960.4 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    964.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I think it's worth a shot for only 5 and some change. If nothing else, I'll look into doing a tee setup. Thanks guys! Happy Memorial Day weekend.

Back when I had a delta faucet, I never tried to hook my IC to it but I had a rollaway dishwasher that had an adapter connection.

I had to do an adapter to an adapter to get it to work: one delta-standard & one standard-dishwasher.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have a Delta 9197-DST that I was struggling to figure out how to connect a chiller to and wanted to share my solution in case this could help someone else.

When I pull the sprayer head down, there is a metal fitting that it’s attached to. Gripping this with a pair of pliers, I was able to unscrew the sprayer head. This left an exposed male 3/8” fitting. I went to the store trying to find a 3/8” female to 3/4” hose adapter, but then I realized I was making it too complicated. All I needed was a hose barb with 3/8” female connection to replace the 3/4” female hose barb that came with the chiller. That connected with no problem.

Attachments

• 4F506321-7CC3-4C8A-BF83-ACA8331BBCB0.jpeg
    4F506321-7CC3-4C8A-BF83-ACA8331BBCB0.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
  • D4F72CF3-8563-4C79-9081-935D49329C62.jpeg
    D4F72CF3-8563-4C79-9081-935D49329C62.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
I just 3d printed adapters for mine :). I have both a hose adapter and a barb adapter. Also use to attach my water filter for getting the chlorine and other additives out of my tap water for brewing with.

Latest posts

Back