"different" yeast suggestion for blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to brew a blonde ale next week. Still tweaking the recipe but probably 2-row, some wheat malt, and some carahell (maybe some Vienna too). Hopped with centennial to 25ish IBUs and a little near the end of the boil for some flavor/aroma.

I know the typical yeast for a blonde ale is something rather clean like California ale or maybe a kolch yeast, but I'm hankering to try something a little different. Any suggestions for a yeast with more character that might work here? What about an English strain that isn't overly estery? I don't have temp control but can ferment down in the low-mid 60s. Ideas?

Meh, Nottingham is too neutral.

If you're looking for something different but not crazy (i.e. Belgian yeast) try S-04 or Wyeast 1099, both are whitbread strain. Throws off some really nice esters/phenols, subdued-to-lacking in the lower-60's, prominent but not overpowering in the upper 60's.

o4_srt said:

Thanks but I'm looking to turn this around pretty quickly. And I've got a couple of sours aging already.

I'll look into those other strains though. Obviously I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

I medium attenuating British Strain I think would make for an interesting Cream Ale.

Wyeast 1332. I made BM's Centennial Blonde with it and it was amazing. Light esters and a touch of tartness gave it some real character. Served it at my July 4th party and they wiped me out! It was a big hit.

im a big s-04 guy as well. its my preferred yeast to s-05/cali ale since it ferments as quickly, floccs beautifully, has high attenuation, and gives off subtle fruity, bready esters if kept in the 60s. I generally ferment at 66-68 and i love the results. oh, and its dry yeast so its dirt cheap too

what about a cream ale yeast? I know it is similar to a kolsh, but I thought I would throw it out there.

WLP051 / WY1272 gets three votes in this thread now. Absolutely the best strain IMO for the style. Subtle esters, but fairly clean, good attenation, better flocculation than Cali ale (necessary in the style unless you plan on fining or filtering, which I do for mine anyway). Performs like a champ at 65*F.

I used white labs kolsch for my cream ale, fermented at 62, and am extremely happy with it, once the plastic taste settled out of it.

I drank half a case in a week. I normally go through a case a month.

My vote is for either S-04 or WLP051/WY1272. The S-04 is much less to style, but I think it would add a nice character.

I stand by S-04 that I mentioned previously, but another option for you could be white labs pacific ale or wyeast northwest ale. Highly flocculant, slightly lower attenuation, a little fruited than you typical American strain.

Add me to the 1272 camp.

In two weeks I also turned around a nice Belgian Blond with WY1762 (Belgian Abbey II), which was a big hit at SWMBO's birthday party.

I also love the WY1272. It won't be THAT different, though. Just very slightly more estery, slightly less attenuation and better floc (I use it for almost all of my american style beers now).
If you want something different I vote for a little belgian action in the form of WL550.

I'm gearing up to brew a blonde ale next week. Still tweaking the recipe but probably 2-row, some wheat malt, and some carahell (maybe some Vienna too). Hopped with centennial to 25ish IBUs and a little near the end of the boil for some flavor/aroma.

I know the typical yeast for a blonde ale is something rather clean like California ale or maybe a kolch yeast, but I'm hankering to try something a little different. Any suggestions for a yeast with more character that might work here? What about an English strain that isn't overly estery? I don't have temp control but can ferment down in the low-mid 60s. Ideas?

I did an imperial blonde a while back and used a blend of WL500/WL550 repitch off a tripel... It turned out great!!!

Wow - I log off for like 24 hrs and return to see all these ideas. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks! I'm planning on picking up ingredients this weekend so I'll have to make a decision soon!

well, I was all set to try WLP051, but my LHBS was sold out. The guys there suggested WLP060 - American Ale blend, which supposedly contains both 001 and 051 as well as a lager yeast. I've got my "something different" yeast and will brew sometime this coming week. Thanks again for all the ideas/suggestions.

BTW anyone have any input on this yeast?

Back