Didn't measure Original Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kong

Reaction score
Searched for about a half hour and didn't find this topic so sorry if it's already on here somewhere. Anyway, the directions I had for my first batch of beer never mentioned checking the initial gravity so, well, I didn't check it. I'm about three days into the primary and wonder what your advice is. The directions don't even tell me what the Final Gravity is supposed to be. All it tells me are approximate days at which point to go to Secondary and then bottling.

Did it give an estimate of OG? What is the recipe? You will know you reached FG when it stays the same for a few days (probably in the 1.014 area). Post a recipe and somebody will help

I found it. OG is 1.033 and FG is 1.008. Still irked the directions didn't mention it in any of the steps. So...now what? Do you still need the recipe?

No, don't worry about it. You only need OG for figuring out the final ABV for extract brews. Welcome to the forums by the way.

I found it. OG is 1.033 and FG is 1.008. Still irked the directions didn't mention it in any of the steps. So...now what? Do you still need the recipe?

Don't worry about it. Give it a couple of weeks then check the gravity. If it's down in the 1008 range a couple of days in a row then you're good to bottle or secondary it.

Thanks everybody and thanks for the welcome! :mug: Since it's in the Primary when's a good time to check it? When it stops bubbling? It's actually pretty lackluster in that dept now. It only pops up every 5 seconds or so. Also, will it reach the 1.008 in the primary before going to secondary? In other words should it be stable before heading into the secondary fermentor?

Parker, when you said that you only need to check the OG if it's and extract brew, does that mean one of those...what? instant packages in the cans?

You generally want to have it ferment for at least 2 weeks, but probably longer. Extract is a method of brewing that uses malt extract (the thick syrupy stuff that looks like molasses and tastes like malt balls) and possibly steeping grains (which is the mothc what you most likely used).

Don't worry about OG, its pretty easy to predict when using extract, you its safe to assume you hit 1.033 or very close.

Relax, grab a beer and start reading this website: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

Back