Didn't boil starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOODED

Reaction score
I am starting my third batch of beer this afternoon. This will be the second time I have used White Labs yeast. The first time I didn't use a starter and it took three days to start to bubble the airlock. This time I decided to try a starter, but I forgot to do it until this morning. I was in a hurry, so I was just skimming the directions. I boiled the water, but then I just stirred in the DME and cooled the "wort". I never boiled the DME. Can I use this starter, or should I just pitch the dry yeast that came with the kit?

If your starter doesn't look or smell bad then you should be golden. Let your starter ferment a couple days then report back. Also, put some foil or something on the lid of your starter; using an airlock is counterintuitive since you want oxygen in it to get the yeast to replicate.

I'll see what it looks like when I get home. I think I am going to pitch the starter and if I don't see any fermentation within 24 hours I will probably pitch the Dry Yeast. Thank you all for your input

When I got home, the starter was bubbling the airlock and there was krausen on the starter. I made my beer, swirled the starter to suspend all of the yeast, and pitched it. This morning I had the fastest fermentation I have had yet. The airlock was bubbling more than once per second. I'm sold on starters for liquid yeast. Next time I will remember to boil the DME for the starter. Thanks again for the advice.

you basically pasteurized the starter instead of boiling it to be 'sterile'...still fairly safe in the long run.

Latest posts

Back