Did you do a "test run" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your horse drinks beer? Badass! :mug:

bahwah! Lol! Not yet but he drinks coffee... (no joke he loves coffee) and
he loved the treats I made from the spent grains I had left over practicing a "mini mash" (yup. I confess... I did mash some breakfast grains and oat flakes in a pot to determine how hard it is to keep a temperature steady and how they mix and all that stuff)

I am about to do a test run today on my new rig. I bought a Center of Gravity brew stand and a Edelmetall Bru Kettle. Should be fun.

I have just created a BIAB setup for 5 gal batches (10 gal pot, homemade bag, homemade hop spider and bag) and will practice on a partial mash this weekend. Then on to an AG lager! :p

I have done three extract brews (two with steeped grains) and I'm anxious to see how much more work it really is. The first two brews are yummy (Fat Tire and Sierra Nev Pale ale clone kits) and the third is bottle conditioning (Bel Tripel.) So I am anxious to see how a partial mash Fat Tire clone compares with the first one. :mug:

Servus!

Really looking forward to your attempt at this great Helles, I am gearing up to try it myself. My local homebrew shop told me the Andechser yeast won't be available til the new year so this will keep me busy til then.

Viele Gluecke!

Servus!

Really looking forward to your attempt at this great Helles, I am gearing up to try it myself. My local homebrew shop told me the Andechser yeast won't be available til the new year so this will keep me busy til then.

Viele Gluecke!

Thanks! :)

I'll keep you all posted!
Would be interested in your outcome and recipe and so on...
Let us know how it went?

Ha! Huge set back in progress.
my electrical stove "collapsed" under the weight of only 3 Gallons of water. I have the strange heating spirals and it did not appreciate the weight. :(

Guess I'll have to move back to my outdoor plan which means I need a lot of stuff, I have yet to build so I can handle my set up...

Ha! Huge set back in progress.
my electrical stove "collapsed" under the weight of only 3 Gallons of water. I have the strange heating spirals and it did not appreciate the weight. :(

Guess I'll have to move back to my outdoor plan which means I need a lot of stuff, I have yet to build so I can handle my set up...

That sucks, sorry to hear! Sounds like you need to upgrade that thing to induction instead! Then it'll help your cooking go smoother as well.

I am looking forward to having a gas stove one day. Right now I am renting a townhouse (one of the reasons why I ditched the outdoor plan -> neighbours!) but looks like I'll be the proud owner of a "outdoor chef" (lol!) propane burner in a couple of hours....

now I have to figure out how to make my theoretical out door set up (which I ditched for various handling reasons) workable...

Only a couple of days ago, when I drilled the holes for my mash tun set up and I thought - wow, this is a exercise worthy of buddhist patience - I wished, I had an affection for a different hobby - like knitting :)

Third day in a row that I have to harass the guys at the homebrew store now, to go and get my burner...

I've been using our propane camp stove (basically this)

I did my partial mash on Monday, although it was small enough that the mash went into the oven at 155* in my grannyware canner...worked great! Did the boil on this stove - it barely has enough to horsepower to boil the 7 gallons, but it did the job. I'm considering getting regular brew burner, but until I think it's worth the $$ this will do instead. Did it in the garage with windows opened etc, and it smells yummy!

On a side note, I used my canning rack for holding the mash to drain, since it's in a bag. Also worked great. Wouldn't work for a real big grain bill, but I think it will work for my upcoming all grain (12-13 lbs grain.)

Last edited:
I've been using our propane camp stove (basically this)

I did my partial mash on Monday, although it was small enough that the mash went into the oven at 155* in my grannyware canner...worked great! Did the boil on this stove - it barely has enough to horsepower to boil the 7 gallons, but it did the job. I'm considering getting regular brew burner, but until I think it's worth the $$ this will do instead. Did it in the garage with windows opened etc, and it smells yummy!

On a side note, I used my canning rack for holding the mash to drain, since it's in a bag. Also worked great. Wouldn't work for a real big grain bill, but I think it will work for my upcoming all grain (12-13 lbs grain.)

Thanks Stella,

I guess I am off to my homebrew shop yet again to see what they suggest :)
Weather wise it will be cold but dry so I should be fine outside this sunday :)

Proud owner of a Blichmann 72000 BTU floor burner now.

Bad Ass piece of equipment. Very impressed! The little "fire devil" inside of me is very happy!

Most excellent - I hope you have a successful "test run"! You'd blow away here if you tried it outside....not like out west but still blustery and cold. Hope your weather holds until you get done.

Back