Did me mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestbrew

Reaction score
We just brewed our first IPA..however we only had a 5gal carboy available (the 6 is fermenting out fat tire clone) Being greedy I filled it as far up as I can expecting the bubbler to do its job...what a mess...ok learned that lesson..now we cleaned it up as best we can to save our brew. We have noticed it is rapidly moving around a lot; not like our other brews...is this a problem to be concerned? Should we dump and start all over?

The churning is a great sign that your yeast are very active. The blow off is totally normal considering you did not allow any space for the foam. Rig a blow off tube and in about 5 or 6 weeks you will have a great beer.

I cannot figure out why you would even consider dumping it.

The churning is a great sign that your yeast are very active. The blow off is totally normal considering you did not allow any space for the foam. Rig a blow off tube and in about 5 or 6 weeks you will have a great beer.

I cannot figure out why you would even consider dumping it.

+1 to this. I love to watch the currents in beer as fermentation is in action.... they are hypnotic.

Set up a blow-off tube and pour a beer in celebration of another successful batch. The moving around is proof that beer is a living thing.

Hmm...reminds me of my first batches. I was super cheap back in my beginning brew days so I saved a bunch of money (about $5-10) and bought the five gallon carboy instead of the 6.5 gallon. Well, after about three blowoffs in a row I shelled out for the big one. So much easier; so worth the money.

So in short; save yourself the time and just buy another fermenter now. You'll do it sooner or later as this hobby has a tendency of snowballing.

homebrewdad said:
+1 to this. I love to watch the currents in beer as fermentation is in action.... they are hypnotic.

I personally would never consider dumping...bit my brew partner is so impatient...we argue all the time about how long it takes and if we are doing it right...I always have to get Advice or my thoughts validated from others to appease him...drives me nuts! But it has to kill him that I am right. I keep telling him if I can make a kick ass chicken soup and home made bread I can do The brewing...

Back