Did I rehydrate yeast properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandoncox

Reaction score
I dumped the entire packet of Nottingham ale yeast into a 4oz cup of water in the optimal temperature range. However, I wasn't thinking because I had so much going on and I pitched the yeast into the wort right after I whisked it in the cup... not letting it sit for 10-15 minutes like I think I was supposed to do. Will it be ok or should I pitch another packet?

It'll be fine. It just might take longer before your fermentation really gets underway.

You ruined it. Best to let it sit for a few weeks, bottle it, and ship it to me for proper disposal.

All joking aside, as stated above you should be fine. Fairly often I won't even rehydrate the yeast and just sprinkle it straight on.

Do you (or should you) give the wort a little stir with a sterilized spoon after pitching the yeast? Will this harm/affect the beer?

Think I've rehydrated/made a starter like once in 10 home brews. I don't even stir - the yeast will find the sugars.

Your best option for rehydration is to make a starter using a small version of what you're making - ie a 1/2 a pint version of your brew, with malt extract for beer, grape juice for wine, apple juice for cider etc - that way when you put it in your brew, it'll start fermenting faster.

although admittedly when you've had a beer actively fermenting within 3 hours, it's a little pointless.

Do you (or should you) give the wort a little stir with a sterilized spoon after pitching the yeast? Will this harm/affect the beer?

I just sprinkle on top and don't worry about stirring. Hasn't led me astray yet.

It will do its thing when sprinkled on top. Dry yeast loves to stick to spoons when you stir, so when I do I tend to lose some of the yeast.

I'm in the opposite boat. I rehydrated dry yeast for my last batch, but due to some trouble getting my wort temp down to about 70, my rehydrated yeast sat for about 40 minutes before I pitched it. I had a cover on the jar, so I'm not worried about anything that could've gotten in, but could this create a problem?

I'm in the opposite boat. I rehydrated dry yeast for my last batch, but due to some trouble getting my wort temp down to about 70, my rehydrated yeast sat for about 40 minutes before I pitched it. I had a cover on the jar, so I'm not worried about anything that could've gotten in, but could this create a problem?

Not at all. 40 minutes is nothing. Yeast is far more resilient than what most people give it credit for. Give it a couple days, see if it is fermenting or not (krausen or gravity change). Worse case scenario, you sprinkle on a new batch of yeast. But you won't have to.

I just used Notti for the first time. I have used 05 a few times and they recommend rehydrating but also say you can sprinkle on top. Notti didn't mention the sprinkle so I rehydrated. Seemed a little tedious being 3 sheets to the wind by that time. It worked out but next time I think I will either do a starter or sprinkle. Anyway I had a healthy krausen when I woke up the next day so no big.

Not at all. 40 minutes is nothing. Yeast is far more resilient than what most people give it credit for. Give it a couple days, see if it is fermenting or not (krausen or gravity change). Worse case scenario, you sprinkle on a new batch of yeast. But you won't have to.

I should've mentioned that I used Notty yeast, and it's been two weeks in the primary. It seems as though it's been fermenting fine since I had a couple inches of krausen that has settled. However, I have what looks like little pieces of something, I'm hoping yeast floaties, on the top of my beer. It doesn't look like an infection and it doesn't have any web things connecting the pieces, but I've never had it in one of my batches. I'll post a pic when I get home. If they are just pieces of yeast, do I just wait it out another week or so and then keg?

Everything is turning out fine! When I got home last night after a few hours of pouring into the carboy, everything was fermenting slightly and I had a nice head of krausen this morning. Last batch I just pitched the 05 yeast dry and everything turned out fine. I was just unfamiliar with the Nottingham strain, and the directions on the back almost made it seem like you MUST re-hydrate before pitching.

Glad everything turned out fine! A starter is recommended for all yeast, rehydrating yeast is a good idea as well, but not required at all.

May you have many happy brews in your future!

Think I've rehydrated/made a starter like once in 10 home brews. I don't even stir - the yeast will find the sugars.

Your best option for rehydration is to make a starter using a small version of what you're making - ie a 1/2 a pint version of your brew, with malt extract for beer, grape juice for wine, apple juice for cider etc - that way when you put it in your brew, it'll start fermenting faster.

although admittedly when you've had a beer actively fermenting within 3 hours, it's a little pointless.

That's not true with dry yeast. You want to use tap water, wort/juice can kill some of the yeast. When it first becomes wet it takes a moment for the cell membrane to be able to regulate what can go in and out of the cell. Water should result in near 100% vitality whereas wort can kill up to 40%.

What if you are doing a 7-9% abv beer for example. Would you pitch two packets or would that be over pitching? I suppose you could just weigh it on a scale...

Back