Did I overcarb my bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20793

Reaction score
I just bottled an American Brown that I brewed a little over 4 weeks ago. I estimated that I had about 5.5 gallons of beer, so I used the priming sugar calculator at tastybrew and calculated that I needed 4.6 oz of corn sugar to achieve 2.3 vols (the range for this style is 1.5-2.5). Well, I just replaced the tubing for my autosiphon and for some reason it was stalling out towards the last gallon of beer (I think it was because it was still rolling up). I got frustrated after spending over half an hour trying to salvage it and gave up because the yeast cake got disturbed and there was quite a bit in suspension. I ended up with 4.6 gallons and got 48-12 oz bottles. I used the 4.6 oz of corn sugar which ends up with like 2.7 vols. Did I overcarb? I think I'm okay, but the reason I ask is because I have had problems with overcarbing following the 1 oz to 1 gallon rule (why I started using the priming calculator) and that's about what I ended up doing here.

On a brighter note, my pipeline has been depleted because I moved and started a new job and haven't really had time to brew, but look what I found when I was grabbing my bottles. I guess my pipeline isn't depleted after all. It's an American Wheat in 22 oz bottles that I brewed in May. It should still be drinkable even though it's past it's prime. :ban:

IMG_0167.jpg

It really depends. What was your fermentation temperature? I seriously doubt you overcarbed. I used 4.5 oz today for 5g to carb to 2.5 atmospheres. I imagine you are up around 2.7 or so.

Back