Did i just make bombs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indyking

Reaction score
I brewed this Belgian pale ale and thought it was a good idea to add some organic orange marmalade with liqueur to the bottling bucket. So, I usually taste the left overs in the bottling bucket to get the first impressions of the taste and realized it came out extremely sweet. Looked at the nutrition facts of the marmalade and learned that it has approximately 8.5 oz of sugar in the full bottle, which I added entirely to the bottling bucket! That, plus the 3.5 oz of corn sugar added to the bottling bucket totaled 12 oz of sugar total! No wonder it tastes sweet! So, any hope the bottles will resist the likely over-carbonation OR should I go ahead and open all bottles before it's too late???

I think Gordon Strong said in his book if you really understand the brewing process, mistakes are easy to correct! Of course, it's obvious! I just sanitized a bucket, opened the bottles, and carefully poured the wort in contact with the wall to minimize oxidation. I sealed the bucket and set the airlock. Just like a secondary fermentation! Easy. I saved my beer, the bottles, and work. Could this have increased oxidation? Likely yes, but most homebrewers, including me, don't really let their finished beer sit too long in the bottle for significant oxidation take place. Piece of cake!

let it ferment out in the bucket, add needed amount for desired Co2 volumes, and proceed to condition, chill, and drink as normal.

Why would you add stuff without looking at the specifics? Was this an "Impaired" decision?

Because like most things it probably sound good at the time! would have been interesting to bottle carb with only the marmelade, I might try something like that next time. (blond carbed with organic strawberry jam/preserve)

DannyD said:
Because like most things it probably sound good at the time! would have been interesting to bottle carb with only the marmelade, I might try something like that next time. (blond carbed with organic strawberry jam/preserve)

+1. I was going to add the marmalade in the end of boil but forgot, so decided to add during bottling but completely ignored the fact that marmalade has tons of sugar in it. Thing is, I have these reality checks during my brewing process which help me to avoid inadvertent mistakes. I always taste the uncarbed wort left in the bottling bucket and that was when I realized the mistake. It was way too sweet. I use tasting a lot in my brewing process, but I guess that's my bias because I like to cook too. I see people using chemicals to check for conversion for instance, but with a small sample of the wort, I can taste it and tell for sure when it's converted.

Back