Did I f up this wheat kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGAZ

Reaction score
6.6 lbs Muntons Wheat malt extract
.5 lb corn sugar
1 oz First Gold UK hops at 60 min
.75 oz sweet orange peel at 10min
1 oz crushed corriander at 10 min

Muntons dry yeast

It just looks a little dark to me.
001.jpg

Bulk beer looks darker, especially since it is a wheat with all the schmutz floating around in there (like yeast). Also, all extract recipes are hard to get light. It'll still taste good :)

no, it'll be fine. why the corn sugar? are you just trying to up the alcohol? you're somewhere between a wit and a wheat with your ingredients. either way it'll be tasty. :mug:

It was suposed to be 1lb of candi sugar that I thought I had. Had some extra corn sugar I tossed in there.

This was an experimental batch of american wheat with blue moon adjuncts.

Looks like some caramelization to me. It's not f'd up, just a little darker than intended.

Next time remove the pot from the heat when you add LME and make sure that it's mixed in thouroghly before returning to heat. The problem is is that when you pour in LME it sinks to the bottom and tends to lay there and burn a little.

That's what I was thinking. I removed it from the heat, but I was by myself and had trouble pouring the two cans of LME and stirring at the same time.

Will it change the flavor much or just the color?

Little flavor(Extract twang) but not bad i think. And plus one on the lme late edition(30min) it worked for my extract recipe's.

The billy has it. Late additions help but full boils and DME are the real deal when it comes to color. The more all-grain beers I taste the more I think that the twang will always be there to some degree. I'm still enjoying my hoppy and yeast driven extract brews too much to switch, but damn the lighter all-grain brews are smooth and pretty in the summer sun.

LME just seems to me to come out darker. It must either be more prone to carmelization, or the water mixed with it causes darkening.

Holy **** that is dark for a wit. Box it up and send it to me, i'll try and salvage it. I'll send you back what i can.

Nah just bull****tin ya, it'll be fine, relax have a home brew and dont worry. the beer will be good, color is just off. thats the **** of extract, tough to get SRM right.

Its got a thick layer of Krausen going right now. With my luck it'll be the best beer I've ever tasted and I won't be able to eff it up just right again.

I'll be adding this to the list of reasons I need to move on to AG

I brewed a Wit yesterday with LME, full-boil, stirred completely before putting back on the heat, and it is still pretty dark in the carboy. I am not going to sweat it.

Back