Did an hour boil when the kit called for 90 mins...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinjorge

Reaction score
I mis-read the instructions on the kit I brew today and did a 60 min boil instead of a 90 min boil. There's no turning back now, question is what do I have to look forward to?

Depends on the hop addition timing. If they were to go in at 90 minutes it might not be as hoppy as expected only boiling for 60. Other than that id say will be slightly lighter in color than a wort boiled for the whole 90. Otherwise I'd say not much of a big deal.

I'd say you mostly have an extra half hour to do something else.

The extra boil time should give you some extra melanoidins, making the beer darker and adding a little flavor as well as reducing the amount of wort you put into the fermenter. If you have the right amount of wort and haven't brewed this beer before you won't notice the difference and if you have brewed it before, you still may not notice the difference unless you do a side-by-side comparison.

I'd say you mostly have an extra half hour to do something else.

The extra boil time should give you some extra melanoidins, making the beer darker and adding a little flavor as well as reducing the amount of wort you put into the fermenter. If you have the right amount of wort and haven't brewed this beer before you won't notice the difference and if you have brewed it before, you still may not notice the difference unless you do a side-by-side comparison.

This was the first time brewing this beer. I plan to brew it again later this summer. Thanks for the response. :mug:

Depends on the hop addition timing. If they were to go in at 90 minutes it might not be as hoppy as expected only boiling for 60. Other than that id say will be slightly lighter in color than a wort boiled for the whole 90. Otherwise I'd say not much of a big deal.

Thanks for the response. Hop addition was scheduled for 60 mins and 5 mins.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back