Diagnosis my beer issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
This has never happened to me before. I made my first Wit and it is not only strange tasting, but also strange looking. I have made a lot of hefe's so I know what cloudy is....but this is more like milky. The flavor is very lemony. I was going to blame it on the yeast I chose (Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit) but I can't imagine any beer being this color.

When I made it I thought that almost 50% of my grain bill being flaked wheat was odd, but it's my first Wit....so what do I know. I made it from a recipe I found on the net.

6lbs 2 row
4.5 lbs flaked wheat
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz hallertau at 60
3/4 oz corriander at 5
1 oz bitter orange peel at 5
Wyeast 3463

All I get in the flavor it lemon.

Glad to see I'm not the only guy who threw oats into a wheat beer :)

Lemon...well 3/4oz of corriander plus 1oz of bitter orange is gonna give you a lot of citrus notes. corriander reminds me of lemon fruit loop cereal.

I've only done wit once, and I used like, 10 corriander berries which is a lot less than 3/4 oz.

That may be it.....it called for an ounce, but I scaled it back because I had heard it was strong. I also crushed the seeds before adding them.

Kayos, did this get better with age? I have had the lemon/grapefruit flavor when using wheat on my lighter BMC beers when they were young. After a month or two the beers were great.

Back