Diageo and AB-InBev petitioning the government/FDA to regulate homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme_timd

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, hope this is the right forum.

This is first hand information I just heard and I can't find ANYTHING about it online. Without saying too much about my source I will say this is someone who would know what's going on at the FDA.

The word is that this is not something that might happen but companies (AB-InBev and Diageo were mentioned) are actively petitioning to have homebrewing regulated in some ways. Apparently the goal is to make it very difficult and/or expensive to homebrew. One item mentioned was the requirement to register / get licensed for all homebrewers.

Has anyone else heard about this or have additional information?

EDIT: Yes, I know this sounds like conspiracy theory. No, I won't share the name/position of my source. He told me confidentially as apparently the talks are very hush-hush right now. However, I trusted his info enough that I figured I could deal with the accusations of my tinfoil hat being too tight for the sake of getting the word out. If it comes up conspiracy/rumors then great, if not then I will personally mail each of you an "I told you so" card every time I have to renew my homebrewing license.

Nope, haven't heard about it. Sounds like a conspiracy theory...but then again we all know how wrong those tin foil hat folks were about Big Brother monitoring. ;)

If there is/were anything to it, I'm sure the American Homebrewers Association would be all over it and we'd hear all about it in short order.

Nope, haven't heard about it. Sounds like a conspiracy theory...but then again we all know how wrong those tin foil hat folks were about Big Brother monitoring. ;)

Yep, I would have thought the same but this came from someone whose info I trust. I realize that's meaningless to people who don't know me, but I thought it was worth sharing.

If there is/were anything to it, I'm sure the American Homebrewers Association would be all over it and we'd hear all about it in short order.

I just emailed Gary Glass about it. I would think as well that they would have contacts that would know this info. I hope it is conspiracy theory / rumors.

Homebrew already is regulated. Limits in production and odd laws in some States about legal areas if consumption. Let alone sale/gift/barter issues.

I lost all my homebrewing equipment in a tragic boating accident . . .

Well, now all you've got to figure out is how to get all that water to boil and what recipe you're going to use to make the beer in the...lake/river/ocean.

As for the "conspiracy theory", I could see the big guys moving towards more regulation. Back after prohibition only a few companies made it out and could switch back to brewing. With the emergence of home brewing it's inspired people like us here to start our own micro breweries which eats into the big boy's profit margin. Not only that but once most get a taste for home brew we don't want the big boy's beer. If they can stamp out or make it so expensive that other people don't start companies they've won a bit.

Then again I can also see it being a complete farse or something that the big boys have been trying for years with no success.

This is first hand information I just heard and I can't find ANYTHING about it online. Without saying too much about my source I will say this is someone who would know what's going on at the FDA.

The word is that this is not something that might happen but companies (AB-InBev and Diageo were mentioned) are actively petitioning to have homebrewing regulated in some ways. Apparently the goal is to make it very difficult and/or expensive to homebrew. One item mentioned was the requirement to register / get licensed for all homebrewers.

EDIT: Yes, I know this sounds like conspiracy theory. No, I won't share the name/position of my source. He told me confidentially as apparently the talks are very hush-hush right now. However, I trusted his info enough that I figured I could deal with the accusations of my tinfoil hat being too tight for the sake of getting the word out. If it comes up conspiracy/rumors then great, if not then I will personally mail each of you an "I told you so" card every time I have to renew my homebrewing license.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its probably a duck. Conspiracy theory.

It simply doesn't make sense; it would cost more in lobbying costs and attorney's fees to get that kind of law passed then it would benefit the companies. Not to mention, the president is a homebrewing supporter.

Yep, I would have thought the same but this came from someone whose info I trust. I realize that's meaningless to people who don't know me, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Every conspiracy ever is based off of "I know a trustworthy guy."

Knowing what I know about In-Bev it wouldn't surprise me.

They've certainly lost our business for the most part, but knowing that we prefer a quality beer over some fizzy crappy stuff I don't see how they could regain much of our business. We'd all just drink SA or SN or something.

I hate In-Bev and refuse to purchase anything I know is theirs. I have a little file saved on my phone to check what all they own. I'd buy a Miller/Coors product if I had to though.

George Orwell would love this thread. And make no mistake,big brother is watching more than many folks think. What with FEMA camps & all that stuff on youtube,there has to be some truth to it. A fellow member here inspired me the night before last to finally write the sci-fi story I've been wanting to do since I was 8. That's 49 years till I finally found inspration. So give tiatan88's new book a go,I'm going to. Mine is a bit Orwellian With FEMA camps,guards with the SCMODS thing now in portable size,etc. And the only thing that saves the main character from the camps is his home brewing experience. But his family...well...they didn't fair so well. Or so he thought for many years.
Anyway,I don't doubt that the big brewers have expanded & eaten each other up to the point where WE'RE the only targets they have left to raise their profit margins. Hold on to yer butts...

Hmm...I might be mistaken, but my understanding is that the only jurisdiction the FDA has over beer production is related to labeling and public sales. If they wanted homebrewers to seek licenses, wouldn't they have to go through TTB (which is part of the Treasury)?

I'm in no way trying to discredit your source, but keep in mind, it's the same thing in the firearms world, always some rumor being started by an "insider" who works at the local gun shop. :mug:

That being said, I can most certainly see where these huge corporations would love to screw everybody that home brews. Cutting into the bottom line and all that nonsense.

I'm in no way trying to discredit your source, but keep in mind, it's the same thing in the firearms world, always some rumor being started by an "insider" who works at the local gun shop. :mug:

That being said, I can most certainly see where these huge corporations would love to screw everybody that home brews. Cutting into the bottom line and all that nonsense.

No doubt, I agree. But I figured I'd share it for discussion either way since, if true, it's a pretty big deal.

Hmm...I might be mistaken, but my understanding is that the only jurisdiction the FDA has over beer production is related to labeling and public sales. If they wanted homebrewers to seek licenses, wouldn't they have to go through TTB (which is part of the Treasury)?

Stuff like that could be going on under the table right now. You never know what new greed & avorice monster will raise it's ugly head next. Maybe not,maybe so...time will reveal all.:drunk:

No doubt, I agree. But I figured I'd share it for discussion either way since, if true, it's a pretty big deal.

Oh yeah! It would be huge, and we all know money talks, so I wouldn't be surprised......pissed off......but not surprised.

Stuff like that could be going on under the table right now. You never what new greed & avorice monster will raise it's ugly head next. Maybe not,maybe so...time will reveal all.:drunk:

Stuff like what? Changing the jurisdiction of the FDA? That would require an act of congress.

Nah,workin under the table deals with those concerned parties to at least see if & how it could be done at this point. sorry I wasn't clearer,but writing more of my book all day has my neurons a bit toasty. Matter of fact,for the last 15 minutes I thought I smelled somethin baking?...

This would be no different like how the environmentalist groups try to ban people using their off-road vehicle of choice. Bills get written in states that the effected area is not apart of (bill written in New York that pertains to Colorado land).

Correct me if I am wrong there are groups that want beer labeled with nutrition and ingredient labels like food in the store however have not been successful in backing up their cause.

On another note I do not think the US wants to relive prohibition and organized crime on any level.

Doesn't make any sense to me. If they were successful, they would still be without our business. What does make sense is a push to tighten restrictions/regulations on opening new commercial breweries. That might not even be worth it with craft breweries combined only producing 6 of the 141 million barrels produced last year

I call shenanigans.

Aside from the legislative, legal and logistical hurdles, not to mention the bad press that would surround such a move, I think those companies recognize that homebrewers tend to buy craft beer. And the companies have demonstrated their willingness to move into the craft beer market. Slapping down homebrewers would be bad for their business.

AB Inbev and Diageo are not threatened by people who make homebrew. What we make is a miniscule drop compared to overall beer production. And we cannot legally sell it anyway. It simply doesn't cut into their market shares. They are more threatened by the expanding craft beer market, but they are reacting to that by buying craft breweries.

I am pretty sure the FDA has no control over home brewing because it's not sold to other people or the public. If anything it is a states decision to put control on it, now that home brewing became legal in 1978. That's why two states just legalized it this year, otherwise it would turn into the same thing with marijuana. Legal in some states but illegal in the country.
The only way they could make us pay more to brew would be an increase in cost of ingredients, which would effect big breweries as well. I don't think this is going to happen the federal government can only tighten the noose so much before people and small businesses become vocal.

This is actually a lot like what Utah's law was like until it was changed in 2005 or. 2006. There was no legal differentiation between homebrewing and commercial brewing.

Everyone pretty much ignored the requirement before the law was changed and no cop, not even the Dept of Alcohol Beverage Control, enforced it.

It's OK. We'll all just start brewing wild ales.

"Gee, I dunno, officer. It all started with this bizarre gardening accident. I had these weird vines growing everywhere so I cut them down and put them in a bag to dispose of later. Then there was this tall grass taking over my lawn, so I cut it all down and I was so frustrated about it I just thrashed it for a while, and just to make sure it was really dead I ground it up and boiled it. I figured I should make sure those vines were dead, too, so I threw them in the boil. Long story short, I didn't want to pour it down the drain because my garbage disposal is on the fritz. So I poured in it a bucket to deal with later, and I forgot about it. Then I needed my bucket for storing loose ammo, but I wasn't sure how to get rid of this stuff so I put it in this old wine barrel my buddy gave me as a keepsake (not remembering I had been storing sour cherries in there, so I guess it all kinda mixed together). Anyway, I forgot about it for a while, but then I was gonna sell the barrel on eBay when I remembered I had all this old gardening waste in there. I still wasn't sure how to dispose of it, but I was in a big hurry to sell that barrel, and the only way to get that barrel empty was to move all the waste into some old bottles I had lying around. And that's when you guys showed up.

True story!

Wanna try one?"

It makes no sense from a common-sense perspective. For one, there's no money in doing that and two, there's no general trend towards restriction of home brewing. In fact, its the exact opposite, the last two states banning it abolished those laws in the last year and the President has people home brewing in the White House.

It makes no sense from a common-sense perspective. For one, there's no money in doing that and two, there's no general trend towards restriction of home brewing. In fact, its the exact opposite, the last two states banning it abolished those laws in the last year and the President has people home brewing in the White House.

But your forgetting the FEMA camps! And all that stuff on YouTube! Ahhhhhhh!

Home brewing is what saves the main character in my book I'm writing from the FEMA camps. The well-healed people got him to brewing craft beer for them. And it's illegal to bottle or can it so folks can't take it home. you have to go to the pub.

I received a reply from Gary Glass at the AHA and he hasn't heard anything of this. He's passed the info along to the Brewer's Association Government Affairs committee.

Whether it's crazy talk or legit info, at least we're talking about it and checking it out in case something is going on behind the scenes.

Well, the second part of "every conspiracy theory ever is started by someone knowing a trustworthy guy" is "and is about something people are eager to believe 'could be true anyway'".

The Lawyer fees alone that InBev would have to pay just to have them sit down and discuss this with the FDA would be more than what they lose in revenue because people are brewing their own.

All this assuming that the FDA would be the the governing body in which to get these sort of regulation...and it is not, as MalFet points out.

The Lawyer fees alone that InBev would have to pay just to have them sit down and discuss this with the FDA would be more than what they lose in revenue because people are brewing their own.

All this assuming that the FDA would be the the governing body in which to get these sort of regulation...and it is not, as MalFet points out.

As far as the lawyer fees go I'm sure the big boys have a team of lawyers and lobbyists on payroll anyhow. As to why they'd go after homebrewing, someone else mentioned that homebrewing is where the craft beer movement is born, cut off your competition at the source.

One scary thing with the FDA is that they have a lot of flexibility over what they do and can regulate. I'm a cigar smoker as well and that's a big battle we're facing - the FDA wants to regulate premium cigars. We said the same thing at first, "The FDA doesn't have any jurisdiction over cigars!" However, we're fighting against them now as they seem determined to get involved.

AB InBev sponsors an employee home brewing club and annually provides free hops to home brewers who visit the St. Louis brewery (this was actually last weekend, as much as you could carry). The company seems far from anti-home brewing.

AB InBev sponsors an employee home brewing club and annually provides free hops to home brewers who visit the St. Louis brewery (this was actually last weekend, as much as you could carry). The company seems far from anti-home brewing.

That's pretty cool, first time I've heard that.

i pretty much believe this is a load of crap.
The reality is those big brewers macro all ya want
are supporting the craft industry more than ever.
No they arent giving up much shelf space but they arent going to try and harm homebrewers anytime soon.

Home brewing is what saves the main character in my book I'm writing from the FEMA camps. The well-healed people got him to brewing craft beer for them. And it's illegal to bottle or can it so folks can't take it home. you have to go to the pub.

What is a FEMA camp?

Back