Diacytel rest @ 65-70 not bring gravity down....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjewell

Reaction score
Info about the beer:

Grain Bill for 2 Gallons (yes its a small batch)
.5 oz Saaz Hops

First question:

So I am using Wyeast Pilsner and I started the d-rest at 65F @ 1.017 for 3 days, it moved down to 1.016, which seems really slow to me....Arrested fermentation? Unfermentable sugars? I doubt it because I did a double decoction mash for 2.5 hours. What do you think is going on?

Second question:

Took a sample taste of the beer. Tastes good, however, the texture of the beer seems really smooth...almost thick. Doesnt really taste like butter or popcorn. Is this diacytel?

Any help on either question would be great!

I'm not too familiar with dark wheat malt, but that seems like a lot. According to the wiki, it only has a diastatic power of 10% and it should only consist of up to 20% of the grain bill. You are using it as 60% of the grain bill. Perhaps that's why your OG is higher than expected. But someone more experienced with that malt and recipe formulation should probably chime in here.

As for the second question, I'm pretty sure I had diacetyl in my lager. It tasted vaguely buttery. If you can't taste something butter-like, it's probably not diacetyl. My bet is that it seems thick because your gravity is a bit high.

I'm not too familiar with dark wheat malt, but that seems like a lot. According to the wiki, it only has a diastatic power of 10% and it should only consist of up to 20% of the grain bill. You are using it as 60% of the grain bill. Perhaps that's why your OG is higher than expected. But someone more experienced with that malt and recipe formulation should probably chime in here.

As for the second question, I'm pretty sure I had diacetyl in my lager. It tasted vaguely buttery. If you can't taste something butter-like, it's probably not diacetyl. My bet is that it seems thick because your gravity is a bit high.

hmm, i didnt design this grain bill. so if it doesnt ferment out, stuck with an high FG? should i consult Beno to fix this problem? or some kind of amylase enzyme?

I am not sure if it tastes buttery. Tastes like warm beer to me. So I dont think its diacetyl. I agree that the gravity is playing a role in the texture and mouth feel.

Thanks for chiming in. I am going to start designing my own grain bills to keep this from happening...

I think you're confusing different terms. Which two I am still unsure of at this time. :confused:

However, a diacetyl rest is NOT about lowering gravity.

A diacetyl rest should be performed AFTER the fermentation is complete.

It is (usually) done by bringing a cold fermenting brew up to room temperature for a day or two so the yeast can clean up after themselves.

If you're not tasting butter then you're brew is probably past this stage and good to go. ;)

I think you're confusing different terms. Which two I am still unsure of at this time. :confused:

However, a diacetyl rest is NOT about lowering gravity.

A diacetyl rest should be performed AFTER the fermentation is complete.

esh, i read on this website that the diacetyl rest should be done 2/3 away from FG. The claim is that the yeast have not flocculated and therefore, more active....not to mention the higher temp allowing the yeast to be more active... i am not doubting your knowledge, I am just bringing up what i learned...however, i take anything and everything in consideration.

It is (usually) done by bringing a cold fermenting brew up to room temperature for a day or two so the yeast can clean up after themselves.

sources say yes and I agree

If you're not tasting butter then you're brew is probably past this stage and good to go.

The FG should have been reached in my humble opinion because of the higher more active temps. Something tells me my sugars are too complex. I taste a hint of sweetness, though I dont mind it, I just want it to fall with in an acceptable lager taste.

I will never through out beer-"for better or worse". :fro:

Latest posts

Back