Diacetyl on purpose for my boho pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickyssix

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm relatively new to posting on here, but have learned most of what i know about brewing on this forum - so thanks to all the heads out there!
My question - Does anybody attempt to get Diacetyl on purpose when making a Pilsner Urquell type beer ?
I know that is a definite characteristic of that particular beer so i wondered if anyone has a method for this.
Couple of points -
1. I always pitch at about 10-12 degrees (50-53f) and have never had a problem with diacetyl..these days i dont really bother resting because it never happens.
2. This time i pitched at about 15c (60f) hoping this will create a little bit of butterscotch i'm looking for.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this ?
Thanks in advance
:mug:

I wouldn't seek it on purpose. Use the proper Czech yeast and ferment as usual. You risk creating too much diacetyl, which can be gross. Even in Czech lager, it's subtle. A lot of the flavor will be from the Saaz hops and pils malt, rather than yeast. But you definitely want that full bodied malt character. So just use a good Czech lager yeast and let it do it's thing.

http://bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

See page 5, style 3B, which is Bohemian Pils. Diacetyl may be present, but need not be. I would always aim for none. NHC had a presentation on category 3, and the guys who gave it were insistent that most indigenous Czech beers do have some diacetyl, but that it's very light and pleasantly mixes with the malt and hop aroma. However, it is not necessary, and aiming to have some seems risky. I'd try not to.

Yes to above posts. Having visited and drank in Czech Rep I can say that Diacetyl is not a significant component of the typical flavour profile for a BoPils. A subtle hint is all, often none at all.

Back