Diacetyl... Oh... That is what it is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkowa

Reaction score
Nearly sixty batches under my belt, ten lagers, and I've counted my lucky stars that I've never had a batch that I considered bad. I got a little lazy and decided "oh, I've never had diacetyl problems, I'm lazy, I'll do a D rest later". Never never came. Racked that light american lager to secondary, tasted, ugh! Canned corn. I tried to warm it up for a week, rouse the yeast...

Today was kegging day. I swear the gelatin finning only made the diacetyl taste even more in the forefront. Most beautiful beer I've ever made. Could not ask for a more beautiful light american lager! Dry, brilliant clarity..... Guess I have a beer for the moochers that complain about the bitter iipas and "heavy" brown ales.

"can o corn lager".

Just felt the need to rant upon sympathetic ears. SWMBO just doesn't understand the pain!

Ps, wyeast pilsen lager. diacetyl making little suckers

I think the corn taste is from DMS (diethyl). Diacytl typically smells/tastes like butter or butterscotch.

Too sleepy, I ment butter popcorn... Not corn. Been doing a lot of pilsner based beers lately. Extra boils and all have put dms and corn on the mind. The light lager tastes buttery. I blame my distraught state of mind!

a little off point, since this is more dicetyl, but has anyone had any experience or luck "scrubbing" DMS (or any other off flavors) from a finished beer by blowing CO2 down the liquid dip tube on a keg and venting out the relief valve?

a little off point, since this is more dicetyl, but has anyone had any experience or luck "scrubbing" DMS (or any other off flavors) from a finished beer by blowing CO2 down the liquid dip tube on a keg and venting out the relief valve?

I haven't heard of this. I don't know if it would work or not, but one problem I can see with that method would be that you'd lose quite a bit of beer to foam (not to mention making a mess).

It definitely came up on one of the Sunday Sessions on BN where someone (the collectively-owned brewpub maybe?) had a bad bad DMS grossness beer that he was able to continually purge the DMS out and replacing it with CO2.

Thanks. I'll have to go check that one out. I've had a couple of beers that had slight DMS problems. Foamy mess aside, I guess it'd be worth a try if it could turn a bad beer into a good one.

it doesn't foam out as long as your beer level is an inch or so below the lid. you work your pressure (if you jam a gas end onto the liquid port, it's not an airtite fit- or you can just hook your gas up to a liquid connect) and throttle the amount going in w a valve as you vent- i don't lose any beer out of the relief. I kind of thought it helped a couple of my problem beers clean up...

Back