Diacetyl? in American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopeBrew

Reaction score
Hey gang- I recently bottled an APA (6 days ago). I cracked one open today, only because I am giving some as an engagement gift and wanted to let the lucky couple know if it was fully carbed or if they should wait before opening. It has nice carbonation and a great head with good retention. But it has a distinct diacetyl aroma, and a bit of buttery flavor when it is very cold. Here are my specs: OG-1.063 FG-1.020 (In primary for 2 weeks, no secondary fermentation) Fermented at ~68°. Conditioned at ~60° for 6 days thus far. Any thoughts?

It didn't get a diacetyl rest in the primary. That's one reason why it's better to let a beer rest on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks before bottling.

What I would do is move the bottles to a dark, dry environment at room temperatures and let them condition that way. A nice bedroom closet inside of a cardboard box would work well. Hopefully you'll be able to encourage the residual yeasts to consume/convert the diacetyl alcohol into esters and make it a little more drinkable. Let them sit as long as you can and then crack one open for a taste test.

Thanks, I'll do just that. I've been conditioning them in the basement, but I'll bring them back upstairs tonight. Funny thing is I thought about bringing them back up just to help carb them. They'll go back to the dark closet from whence they came. A couple weeks to start? Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back