DFH Indian Brown Ale inspired brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steppenwolph

Reaction score
Just tried a sixer of this, the wife and I really liked it, so obviously, I want to try to brew it. Here is my starting off point. I would welcome any helpful comments. I am using Willamette and Northern Brewer because that is what I have. My preference is for dry yeast, but I am open to using another variety if that might help. Obviously, this is not exactly a clone of the DFH brew, but something that might remind you of it quite a bit. At least, that is what I am going for. What do you all think?

Light Dry Extract 7.000 lb
Pale Malt (2 Row) US 2.000 lb
Chocolate Malt (US) 12.000 oz
Caramel/Crystal Malt – 60L 12.000 oz
Black Barley (Roast Barley) 2.000 oz
Amber Malt 12.000 oz
Brown Sugar, Dark 8.000 oz

Northern Brewer 1.500 oz First Wort
Northern Brewer 1.500 oz 1.000 hr
Willamette 1.500 oz 20.000 min
Willamette 1.500 oz 10.000 min

Danstar – Nottingham yeast.

I will do a simple single infusion mini-mash with the grains. Also, I will caramelize the sugar

Hard to say, but whether or not it mimics the DFH, it looks like it will be a damn good beer regardless. I'm interested to hear how this one comes out!

Just wondering why you're bothering to do a mini-mash.

Chocolate, Caramel, and Roasted barley, from my understanding, are all fine just steeped (someone correct if I'm wrong!)

Amber malt I'm not too familiar with but from a quick search just seems to be a lightly roasted 2 row...

Wouldn't it be easier just to steep grains or is there something I'm missing that benefits from mashing?

Just wondering why you're bothering to do a mini-mash.

Chocolate, Caramel, and Roasted barley, from my understanding, are all fine just steeped (someone correct if I'm wrong!)

Amber malt I'm not too familiar with but from a quick search just seems to be a lightly roasted 2 row...

Wouldn't it be easier just to steep grains or is there something I'm missing that benefits from mashing?

It would be easier just to steep the grains, but I thought that the chocolate needed to be mashed. I put in the pale two row just to help out with the mash, since if the mini mash is too small, I can't control temp adequately. But if none of it needs to be mashed, then I am just gonna steep. Ditch the two row, toss in another pound of DME and go.:rockin:

I steeped some chocolate malt for a Double Chocolate Double Coffee Imperial Stout I did and it turned out great. I would just skip the mash and steep @ 155-160F for 15-20 min. I usually add my grain while I heat up the water too.

Hard to say, but whether or not it mimics the DFH, it looks like it will be a damn good beer regardless. I'm interested to hear how this one comes out!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll post the results here when it gets brewed. I am really hoping to mimic the malt character of this beer, and let the hops can fend for themselves here.

I steeped some chocolate malt for a Double Chocolate Double Coffee Imperial Stout I did and it turned out great. I would just skip the mash and steep @ 155-160F for 15-20 min. I usually add my grain while I heat up the water too.

Looks like it will all be steeped, then, unless the amber malt needs mashing. If it does, I will probably sub it out for something that can be steeped.

Back