DFH 120 minute IPA oxidized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmypop13

Reaction score
I found some DFH 120 min IPA back in March and bought two bottles. I love the 60 and 90 so I thought I'd like this but it was disgusting. It just tasted aweful and sort of vinegary and not at all like beer. The bottles say bottled in October of 09. Well I tried that first one in March and saved the other bottle til today hoping it just needed to age. Well this one was just as bad, if not worse. There's little things floating in it, maybe yeast? Kinda looked like what floats around in Midas Touch. And the underside of the cap was stained black. It's got a really thick sour taste and smells aweful. Is this oxidation? And did anyone else experience this with this batch? I was thinking maybe it sat in the light in the store too long but wouldn't that just make it skunky? Or could this have been caused at the brewery?
I guess it was a bad idea to buy a beer so old in the store but I was just so shocked when I actually saw it for sale, plus it said ages well, so I thought it'd be okay. Sucks cuz it was like $12 a bottle and I couldn't drink either one

I can't speak to whether it's oxidization or caused by DFH, though with their recent news of a bad batch of 120 Minute, who knows! ;)

At any rate, when I had a bottle of this, my experience was nothing like yours. I will admit it was heavy on the alcohol burn, extremely sweet and caramel-malty. Unfortunately it sounds like you have a bad bottle. These age pretty well, actually.

Contact the brewery with your experience and be sure to provide the date on the bottle. I found a problem with a batch raison d'etra that I called them on. They were experiencing boiler issues during that batch and the wort was burned. Sucks that it made it to market, but I got a nice t-shirt for the trouble of emailing them...

120 is too sickly sweet for my tastes. From your description, you got bad bottles.

Contact the brewery with your experience and be sure to provide the date on the bottle. I found a problem with a batch raison d'etra that I called them on. They were experiencing boiler issues during that batch and the wort was burned. Sucks that it made it to market, but I got a nice t-shirt for the trouble of emailing them...

120 is too sickly sweet for my tastes. From your description, you got bad bottles.

Absolutely, it never hurts to inform the brewery of a bad bottle/case.

In fact, I contacted Clipper City Brewing because I received a horribly outdated case of their Loose Canon Imperial IPA. I think it was a quality-control fault on the distributor for letting it sit on the shelf for 8+ months past the brewery's recommended "drink by" date. Nonetheless, they replaced the case, free of charge and gave me a second one as an "I'm sorry!"

Always share your experiences with the brewery. :)

I just wanted to say I contacted them about it. They are taking care of me :) They asked for my address and tshirt size so that's pretty cool! Also, they are gonna get back with me to find out some more specifics on which batch it was.
Pretty cool people!
-Chris

Full disclosure: I love DFH brews. They make some great stuff...

However, this on made me giggle....

"With regards to the most recent batch of 120 Minute IPA, I am sorry to say that dozens of passionate people at Dogfish got out voted by millions of yeast cells and this batch will not be released. This batch came in a bit under attenuated and got dinged on our sensory panel for dislocated flavors."

I hate to say it, but isn't that the case with a good bit of their beers? No flame war intended, again, I like a lot of their stuff...

:mug:

I just bought so DFH 120 and it's full of big floaties and not as clear as I remember. I didn't think about checking bottle dates at the time. 6/29/20. It's not sour or any foul smell like the person above but it doesn't look right to me.

I just bought so DFH 120 and it's full of big floaties and not as clear as I remember. I didn't think about checking bottle dates at the time. 6/29/20.
Jeebus, what kind of shop keeps a going on three year old beer in stock?
You gotta be careful with the 120. They say they don't make it often and it goes fast, but the reality is that there really isn't that much demand for an 18% ABV 120 IBU beer. I've seen dusty bottles in plenty of shops.

This makes me want to buy a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo and put it in my garage for a year. Last time I did that, I thought it was much better than it was when I bought it.

Back