Denver Bulk Buy # 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received official word that the Pale and Pilsner malt can be combined for price breaks. At 1,000 lbs., both malts will be $0.65 a pound. We are at 950 lbs. confirmed. There may be additional requests, but they are not certain.

We need to get to 2,000 lbs for no delivery charge.

Wheat malts are priced at $0.75 a pound no matter what quantity.

The hulless barley malts are said to be used for flavor, mouthfeel and texture.

Thank you, Dave.

We are now officially over 1,000 lbs. :mug:
If anyone would like to increase their order, please post here, for now.

I will be contacting everyone by PM in about a month to confirm the orders.

Tell your fellow Front Range brewers. Let's see if we can get this up to 2,000 lbs for free shipping. 3,000 will get us another price break to $0.49 lb.

I'm in for...

3 bags of Pilsner
3 bags of Pale
1 bag of Red Wheat

I may add more once I hear back from 1 more guy I brew with

This is probably a dumb question, but I am new to all grain so I will ask anyway.

Are pilsner grains only used for making lagers? If it is not just for lagers what type of beers can you make with a pilsner grain?

Thanks!

In the process of going to the AG side myself!
:mug:

I have a Cream Ale recipe my friends like (they like the extract version, at least!) that uses 6.0# Pils/5G. Plus, I'm going to try an ale Munich that I came across the other day with 5#/5G, using WLP029.

Pilsner Malt is a generic term for a malted barley that is VERY light in color.

Typically 1-1.5L

Pale Malt is usually a little bit darker 2-3L

Both are fully modified these days, so no step mashing is needed. You might have to boil a bit longer when using the Pils.

I will ask Jason for the current malt analysis of both so everyone can compare

For now, here is the analysis of the last batch of Pale Malt.

Malt_analysis.jpg

This is probably a dumb question, but I am new to all grain so I will ask anyway.

Are pilsner grains only used for making lagers? If it is not just for lagers what type of beers can you make with a pilsner grain?

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. I don't have the ingredients that typically go into each style memorized yet, so these are just some specific ones I've found on this site:

Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen
BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale
Pacman Dunkel

When I was thinking of getting some Pils (I'm not), I was primarily thinking of Lagers.

Feel free to correct this one, but here's what I see:

Everything so far is unmilled:

Wayne1 - 100 Pale - 50 Pilsner 50 Wheat (Splitting wheat with Lackey2000)
MikeScott - 50 Pale
jppostKW - 50 Pale
SailCo26 - 100 Pale
Strngcheez - 50 Pale
Lackey2000 - 50 Pale 50 Pilsner (Splitting wheat with Wayne1)
Petervonstuff - 50 Pale 50 Pilsner
Buffman - 100 Pale 50 Wheat (Splitting wheat with abazin)
BCC - 100 Pale
Chromados - 100 Pale
Abazin - 50 pils (Splitting wheat with abazin)
dbowdit16 - 100 Pale
aarondrich - 150 Pale 150 Pils 50 wheat
jrberry55 - 50 pale 50 Pils 50 white Wheat (Splitting wheat with Petervonstubb)
artboy - 50 pale 50 pils

22 Sacks (1100 LBS) of Pale
9 Sacks (450LBS) of Pils
4 Sacks (200LBS) of Wheat (All white wheat?)

Total = 1750LBS

Feel free to correct this one, but here's what I see:

Everything so far is unmilled:

Wayne1 - 100 Pale - 25 Pilsner 25 Wheat (Splitting wheat and Pilsner with Lackey2000)
MikeScott - 50 Pale
jppostKW - 50 Pale
SailCo26 - 100 Pale
Strngcheez - 50 Pale
Lackey2000 - 50 Pale 25 Pilsner 25 Wheat(Splitting wheat and Pilsner with Wayne1)
Petervonstuff - 50 Pale 50 Pilsner
Buffman - 100 Pale 50 Wheat (Splitting wheat with abazin)
BCC - 100 Pale
Chromados - 100 Pale
Abazin - 50 pils (Splitting wheat with abazin)
dbowdit16 - 100 Pale
aarondrich - 150 Pale 150 Pils 50 Red wheat
jrberry55 - 50 pale 50 Pils 50 white Wheat (Splitting wheat with Petervonstubb)
artboy - 50 pale 50 pils

22 Sacks (1100 LBS) of Pale
8 Sacks (400LBS) of Pils
4 Sacks (200LBS) of Wheat (3 white wheat, 1 Red Wheat)

Total = 1700LBS

These are the numbers I have.

Please let me know of any changes.

Thanks to all.

Hello all,

Please please put me down for 2 sacks of pale. I've been looking for getting some bulk grain economically in the Denver region and have quite a few friends that are interested as well. I sent out an email to some friends and I bet I could get 4-8 or more additional sacks on the order from them. I'll prod them along and try and get you a definitive quanity as soon as possible next week. Thanks, Lee

Can I add 50 lbs of pale to my order? I figure the worst that will happen is I'll have to brew more. :)

Done.

That puts us at 2,000 LBS total weight. There will be no delivery charge :ban:

Now all we need is another 1200 lbs of pale or pilsner malt orders and the price will drop to $0.49 a pound.

I didn't think we could meet the 3000 lb mark but it's actually looking obtainable. If we get close I'll probably order more. Nothing like getting 50lb sacks for $24.50!

Here are the Malt Analysis' for the grain we are going to be buying.

White_Wheat.jpg

Red_Wheat.jpg

The 0906A is the Pilsner Malt

Pils1.jpg

Pale.jpg

I'm sure the answer is yes, but the 2-Row and Pilsner are fully modified right? I know there is a figure you can look at on the Malt Analysis but I forgot what it was. Also, does anyone know if the bags the malt comes in has a moisture barrier?

Also, I'm getting the final numbers but my brewing buddies are going to piggy back on my order which should increase my order by about 700 lbs. I think we should be able to get to 3000 lbs.

Understanding Malt Analysis

Here is a link for a very good article by the late Greg Noonan that explains all the numbers on the sheets above.

Short answer, all the malts are fully modified and would just need a single infusion mash to fully convert.

Originally I think I said I wanted...

2 Bags Pils, 2 Bags 2-Row, and 1 Bag Red Wheat

I'd like to change that to

15 Bags 2-Row
9 Bags Pils
4 Bags Red Wheat

Any Idea when the order is going in?

15 Bags 2-Row
9 Bags Pils
4 Bags Red Wheat
Who-ah! NICE, that should put us well over the 3k mark.
:mug:
And I was about to say that if we were close I'd add a bag of Pils to help out.

I believe the order needs to finalized by Fri 23 Apr for delivery to Park Meadows on Tue 27 Apr.

BIG THANKS to aarondrich for that 1400 lb order!!.

We are now well over 3,000 lbs for the pale and pilsner malts. Prices per pound are $0.49. Wheat will remain at $0.75 a pound.

The will be no delivery charge.

I will finalize the orders during the week of APRIL 19. Pick up of grain is still scheduled for APRIL 27th at Park Meadows Mall.

In the interim, I would appreciate it if all who are participating in the group buy could PM me their E-mail address and cell phone numbers.

Thanks again to all who have ordered.

I would like to increase my share from 100 lbs. of pale to 150 lbs. You can’t beat this price!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back