Dented Keg a Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I just received a ball lock keg that I purchased off of ebay. In the pictures the keg looked in pretty good condition. Upon receiving the keg I notice a pretty sizable dent in the side. Other than the dent everything looks fine. It holds pressure.

Question is, is the dent an issue?

Only if you paid for a brand new keg. I buy used kegs from rebel brewer for 30 bucks and some of them come dented. As long as they hold pressure and you can clean them properly there is no issue unless you paid for a new keg and got a dented keg instead.

Definetly didn't pay "new keg" price. Got a keg and CO2 tank for 20 plus shipping.

yea then as long as it can be cleaned and it holds pressure I wouldnt worry about it. You should however change the O-rings out on the posts. dip tubes and main lid. Just good practice (not because of the dent).

Keg that holds pressure and co2 tank for $20...good deal. How's the CO2 tank look?

It looks good so far. Obviously wasn't filled so that will be the next test.

+1 to everything .. if it holds pressure, she is good to go!

If the keg is dented in the side, pressurize it to 100psi+ and it should pop out.
If the dent is on top/bottom or near a weld, this probably will not help.

Matt

Back