Dented can of LME. Safe to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motherofgallons

Label design, mead, cider, wine, kombucha
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/dsla64/muntons_lme_is_this_can_safe_to_use/

Can't post the video here due to size constraints so check out the video on my reddit post. I bought this can a few months ago and it came in the mail dented like this. I don't remember if it had this kind of give on the top when it came. It seems slightly bulged, as I tried to show in the video. More so on the top than the bottom for some reason. It expires this month. Is this normal for cans of lme? I don't want to mess with botulism. Ok or toss?

I understand and appreciate your concern about the dented can of malt. I found the video helpful. IMO, no, this malt has already begun to ferment. That's what's causing the top bulge. Good for you to notice the bulge and, IMO, avoid.

I'd bet the can was kept in a warm place. Find another homebrew supplier or store as, apparently, they don't know how to properly keep things.

Thanks. It's been in my kitchen cupboard for a few months, the ambient temperature has been about 23-24C on average since then. Is that too high? I also have a partial plastic thing of LME, I used part but not all. Bought at the same time and stored in the same cupboard. Should I assume that has also turned?

No idea what bugs contaminated the LME. Swollen cans of food are a big red flag (think: botulism). A can of LME should be avoided as well. No guarantee that the boil will denature whatever is lurking.

Thanks. It's been in my kitchen cupboard for a few months, the ambient temperature has been about 23-24C on average since then. Is that too high? I also have a partial plastic thing of LME, I used part but not all. Bought at the same time and stored in the same cupboard. Should I assume that has also turned?

23-24 C, IMO, is a high temp for storing LME. I do believe the malt has begun fermenting.

For future reference, is it better in the fridge? Or better just to buy dme instead if I am not going to use it at once?

Depends on when you plan on using. DME is great for yeast starters.

In my experiences, even with refrigeration, LME will darken over time.

However, to answer your question, yes, refrigeration will extend the life of LME. Be realistic with the refrigeration.

Noticed that's Marris Otter, so that's even more of a bummer (stuff's pricey compared to American base malt extract).

Back