Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter as a BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorMag

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob post, but I am planing on doing this as my first BIAB this weekend. So below is Denny's recipe. How do I set this up as a BIAB. I am confused about a few of the steps. Mainly the Mash Schedule and water amounts. Thanks for your help.

#264 Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.75
Anticipated OG: 1.086 Plato: 20.58
Anticipated SRM: 45.4
Anticipated IBU: 31.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 1.50 Gallons Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.75 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG 15.52 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
62.0 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.5 1.50 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 70
2.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
14.1 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt (Durst) Germany 1.037 10
5.6 1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
7.0 1.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.65 oz. Magnum-Domestic Whole 15.00 29.2 60 min.
0.40 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.00 2.6 10 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Wy1450, Wy1056, or DCL Yeast US-56 Fermentis American Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name:

Total Grain Lbs: 17.75
Total Water Qts: 23.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 5.75 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.13
Grain Temp: 65.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sacc 0 60 155 155 Infuse 172 23.00 1.30

Total Water Qts: 23.00 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 5.75 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 7.17 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

When fermentation is complete, split 2 vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape all the seeds and "gunk" from them and add it to the fermenter. Chop the beans into 2-3 in. long pieces and add them, too. Leave in secondary 10-14 days, then taste. You want the vanilla to be a bit on the striong side since it will fade. If the vanilla flavor is adequate, rack to bottling bucket or keg and add approximately 375 ml. of Jim Beam Black bourbon. You don't need to use an expensive bourbon, and you don't want to add a lot. The beer shouldn't scream "BOURBON!" at you. You should have an integrated flavor of the chocolatey porter, vanilla, and bourbon. This beer does not benefit from extended aging. I prefer it within a few months of brewing. The FG should be in the mid-high 20s, so don't worry about trying to get it lower.

There are dozens of good BIAB calculators online, your mash kettle height and width are used in some of the calculators to predict your boil off rate...first off double crush the grain...with a bag you don't need to worry about a stuck sparge, but with full boil BIAB (assuming you are not doing dunk sparge)...you will lose efficiency so the double crush and squeezing the bag post mash will help get more sugars out. Another suggestion, increase your grain bill by 5-10% to account for lost efficiency.

As for mash schedule...you can stick with the same 155F mash step and the then raise temp to the 172F for a 15 minute mash out (for mash out, heat over low heat and stir frequently to prevent the bag from scorching). I would recommend 75 min mash, 15 min mash out once up to temp.

As for water volumes, using a calculator would be best...but as a starting point, take what you do now for a mash and a sparge and combine those two and then add another quart or two to account for the grain absorption.

For example, when I do fly sparge, usually I am looking at 4.5 gallon mash, 1.5 gallon mash out, 3 gallon fly sparge for 9 gallons of water total. When I do BIAB almost every batch I do starts with 10 gallons. With my 15 gallon kettle and my burn off rate, that gets me around 9 gallons pre-boil, 6.5 gallons post boil (I do 90 min boils), and then 5.9 gallons after cool down, and then 5.5 gallons into the fermenter leaving 0.4 gallons of trub behind.

Have you done any batches at all yet? If no, I recommend filling your kettle with 7-8 gallons of water and boiling down for an hour to find out you boil off rate. You need to know how many gallons you lose so that you start with enough water to end with 5 gallons. Also, I assume the 73% efficiency is Denny's rate? If so until you dial your system in, you will not know your efficiency rate, so expect to be low.

Good luck!

Last edited:
So I went out and found the BIAB calculator, seems with my 50 quart kettle, with the grain bill, I will start with 7.31 gallons of water. This is my first BIAB. Should be interesting and fun.

Back