Delerium Tremens Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tips everyone! I have this one in my primary right now.

I was planning on letting this sit in primary for 2.5 weeks total, then boiling a small amount of water / sugar (letting it cool), then adding that to the primary container to settle for another day. After that, I was going to bring it straight to the bottles to rest for a few months. Is this doable?

Also, I started this with 5 1/3 gallons of water and ended up with 3.5 gallons of brew after it was all said and done. I did not add more water to the primary. Should I have?

I was planning on letting this sit in primary for 2.5 weeks total, then boiling a small amount of water / sugar (letting it cool), then adding that to the primary container to settle for another day. After that, I was going to bring it straight to the bottles to rest for a few months. Is this doable?

It's your beer, you can do what you want.:p Be aware that adding sugar to the fermenter will restart active fermentation and bring more yeast into suspension.

Also, at 18 days, fermentation may not yet be complete. I suggest you wait for the kraeusen to fall, activity to stop, and gravity to stabilize before you rack or even think about bottling!

thinking of making this. But only difference is I am going to primary it for a month. then secondary for 3 months then keg and highly carb. So should I still make the starter out of part of the yeast and throw that in a few days before secondary?

As this recipe is from Mark and Tess' second book, has anyone tried doing the extract version? Also, has anyone tried the Duvel recipe from their first book? Planning on doing a Belgium Strong Golden Ale next and am looking for a tasty recipe!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast Labs 1388
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.089
Final Gravity: 1.021
IBU: 22
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 41
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 65

Recipe: Delerious Belgian tripppel
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.46 gal
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
1.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.25 %] (60 min) Hops 16.9 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.25 %] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [2.70 %] (15 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [2.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
4.00 gm Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Seeds of Paradise (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
12.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 25.00 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) Yeast-Ale

This is what I did..I searched in the northern brewers brew talk and they have been experimenting with recipes for years now and this seemed to be the closest that most had come up with. It is not exact but very close..Several of the brewers were experimenting with reusing the yeast from the bottle..it is the only way to get it exact..What I read was that this strain of yeast (1388) was the closest but not the same. Mash around 148 to 149. and age for a long long time...repitching yeast is recommended becasue of how long you have to keep in carboy

Jay

4 lb's of sugar?? that seems a lot.

Since there are people who didn't know Delirium Tremens was a medical condition, they might find this interesting as well. The pink elephants on a DT bottle are associated with the medical condition, because pink elephants are supposedly a common alcoholic hallucination. They even show up in Dumbo when he gets drunk!

I don't know a very good answer to this one, but I'll try to offer what I can. The champagne bottles are necessary if you are planning on surpassing a certain amount of CO2 per bottle (something like 3.5 volumes) because the regular 12 oz bottles aren't thick enough and may break.

I read that somewhere when I was searching for champagne bottling info for my wedding beer (just because I thought it would be cool to be able to pop corks at the wedding). However, I haven't ever bottled something with very high volumes of CO2 and also have never had a regular bottle not be able to handle the CO2, so I've got no personal experience with this.

Forgo the champagne bottles and invest in kegging, Coke and Pepsi used them at an operating pressure of 100psi so the sky is the limit in carbonation of beer.

Checking up on the results of DT clones. How'd it go? what would you do differently? I think I'm gonna make it sometime this month. Nearly an oz of coriander in the one version seems like a ton.

Back