Deformed pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruizer8

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for about 3 years now and its been in the same 8 gallon aluminum pot. About a year ago I decided to start BIAB and its worked great for 8 or so brews. However, today while I am brewing another one, I hear a pop and notice the bottom of the pot now caves upward and the base is now a hexagon instead of round. Looks like I will be getting a new kettle!

Anyone else have this happen to them?

That's a piece of art!
It's a heptagon actually. Did you do that funny dance around the kettle again, teasing the brew gods?

But seriously, I've never seen anything like that, or even deemed possible from just heating.

Did you have your lid on? Any rapid cooling? Were you running a pump or using one of your valves?

It almost looks like some sort of vacuum was formed and your pot imploded.

looks like a crushed tank... lol. i've seen this happen in 50000lb tanks before but not like this. what were you doing?

Aliens

image.jpg

Think about it this way, you can whirlpool and aspirate from the center and get crystal clear beer.

I had about 5 gallons in it and had my grain in there for about 15 min with the water at 150° with the lid off. It was about 40° outside, but I have brewed with the same pot when it was below freezing. It looks pretty cool but I am surprised it didn't cause a geyser or something.

I guess I did add about half a gallon of room temp water but wouldn't think that would be enough to cause that.

Back