Defective Corny Keg Cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Alright, I got 4 more corny kegs, somewhat new, they were used for wine storage.

3 worked great but one won't seal. I move the lid around and all it points to the lid. I have 3+ year experience with kegging and I never had issued with lids not sealing till this one.

The only thing I see about this lid is the is of a different type
41KvE7v91+L._AC_US218_.jpg

The others are of this type
51mSmAF+GzL._AC_US218_.jpg

I can't see any issue with the lid. I tried to change the ends but nothing. I tried to bent the lever more so there is more presure on the lid. I managed twice to seal it tight but next time I try it won't seal. I always didn't like that style of lid. I change the oring too. I think I might endup buying one brand new lid similar with the 3 that work.

Any suggestion ?

Sometimes those things are a real pita. There shouldn't be a difference in type, as long as the lid post is making good contact with the keg.
Did you try keg lube? Sometimes keg lube and 20+ psi will seal it, then you can back down to serving pressure.
Folded up cardboard, a dime, can also help.

I would replace the gasket and check the gasket contact surfaces for scratches/burrs etc.

Did that. Flipped the gasket back and forth. No flipping luck. I even tried a piece of 1/8" sillicone under the legs,didn't work. it's the flipping clamp style - I think!

I have a couple of kegs that need a fatter than typical O-ring. The typical ring just wouldn't seal. I found some on ebay. Problem solved on the cheap.

I ordered two. I wonder if the McMaster have them. will see how it goes when I get them.

Back