Deer waiting for spent grain dump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I brewed today...... mashing all afternoon, and boiling in the evening. As I stepped out with my bag of spent grain, the whitetails out in the field caught a whiff of it and their heads all turned......... I stepped out a few minutes later and there were 4 deer in my spent grains compost........ They have me figured out. Normally they aren't that close, but the smell of my mash seems to draw them closer, knowing that they will get a "feed" when I come home.
I may start dumping spent grains a quarter mile away........ The last thing I need is "trained deer". They decimated my garden last summer in spite of my best effort with my high power pellet gun... over 1000 FPS muzzle velocity.
I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve yet................

H.W.

They don't seem to like my spent grain pile. I think it sours before they get around to it.

I used to dump my spent grain behind my shed; nothing appeared to ever eat it, and I have deer roaming around back there. I finally found a local person with chickens and they're happy to take my spent grain. The chickens love it, and I'm getting it recycled, which pleases me.

I dump it in my garden and I always figured the rabbits or birds would dig into it, but it remains untouched...if the deer could get back there I am sure they would eat it though.

I set out a pile of it in the far corner of my yard. I thought the birds and squirrels would take care of it, but no, wouldn't touch it. A day later the trash pandas cleaned it up, as there were raccoon tracks all around.

I brewed today...... mashing all afternoon, and boiling in the evening. As I stepped out with my bag of spent grain, the whitetails out in the field caught a whiff of it and their heads all turned......... I stepped out a few minutes later and there were 4 deer in my spent grains compost........ They have me figured out. Normally they aren't that close, but the smell of my mash seems to draw them closer, knowing that they will get a "feed" when I come home.
I may start dumping spent grains a quarter mile away........ The last thing I need is "trained deer". They decimated my garden last summer in spite of my best effort with my high power pellet gun... over 1000 FPS muzzle velocity.
I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve yet................

H.W.
Deer are deer. It is cruel to injure them. I put a fence around my garden to keep the deer, cotton tails, raccoons, and neighbors dogs out.

edit: Forgot the bear.

Deer are deer. It is cruel to injure them. I put a fence around my garden to keep the deer, cotton tails, raccoons, and neighbors dogs out.

edit: Forgot the bear.

I kill things..........

H.W.

Cottontails here eat mine in winter, in summer it goes into the compost tea barrel(that is some STINKY stuff!).

They make motion activated water sprayers for deer, works well to keep them out of the garden!

My spent grain attracts deer which attracts coyotes. Not good when my neighbour has 3 little dogs.

I usually shoot at least one deer a year behind my house. I also dump my spent grains in the wood line right behind my house but they don't touch it. Maybe I need to brew some corn beer lol.

When I lived in Rhode Island I dumped my spent grain in my compost pile. Nothing ever touched it. Here in Florida, I dumped some in a planter, it was dug through but if any was eaten it was not much.

Cottontails here eat mine in winter, in summer it goes into the compost tea barrel(that is some STINKY stuff!).

They make motion activated water sprayers for deer, works well to keep them out of the garden!

One of my inventions of about 30 years back........ too bad I didn't make an effort to market it. Unfortunately most motion detectors do not work well during the day. These are quite effective at night. I've taped off the electric eye that senses daylight, and they will work in the day, but are not reliable. Deer adapt their grazing pattern quickly. Interestingly I have lots of problems once the snow flies, with deer destroying my raspberry canes, which eliminates the next year's crop, and digging up strawberry roots. Sprinklers of course are out. I've been known to kill the worst offenders. Years ago I designed a system for after freeze up that used a fan to inflate a large garbage bag that would stand up and shake menacingly. It lasted until one night, when my neighbor went through the yard chasing a skunk with his 12 gauge. Fortunately I wasn't home at the time! He triggered the system, which he didn't know about it, and shot the bag several times in fright. I keep no lights whatsoever at night....... they ruin your night vision and destroy the view of the stars. The sudden dark object raising up in front of him probably looked like a bear in the darkness.

H.W.

My spent grain attracts deer which attracts coyotes. Not good when my neighbour has 3 little dogs.

Depends on the breed of dog......... If they are of the "incessant yap" variety, that could be a good thing ;-)

H.W.

Latest posts

Back