Deconstructing Stone VERTICAL 090909

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
With instructions like this.....

Pale Malt 73.1%
75-80°L Crystal Malt 10.4%
Chocolate Malt 5.4%
Belgian Aromatic Malt 4.3%
Dark Candi Sugar 3.4% (added to boil)
Black Malt 1.7%
Carafa Malt 1.7%

as found here..........
http://stonebrew.com/epic/Wc6297b16717fd.htm

I kinda missed how many lbs total are used. I understand percentages, but don't you need a total lbs of grain/gallon?

Maybe I missed it.

I am also.......for the moment.....planning a PM of this.

I will go back to AG when my youngest is 15 or so.

you could figure out the actual weight, just get an idea of how many points per pound of grain for a 5 gallon batch I'm sure you could play with some brewing software to figure this out.

For a 1.080 beer, you could just start off with like 15lbs of pale, work out the other ingredients based on this, hope you overshoot it and top it off at the end.

But again, I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a much more accurate measure.

You really need brewing software to figure it out. I guess you could do it by hand too if you knew you got X% efficiency and needed X amount of grain to hit the OG on your system. If nobody else has figured it out by tonight, I'll throw the percentages in to Beersmith and come up with a general grain bill that will fit ~5.5 gallons at 70% efficiency.

What a great beer BTW.

Thank You both!

I may be able to plug it into this free brewing software online, but I'm at work.

I honestly thought I must have missed it.

This beer is AWESOME.:mug:

I thought this would be a fun exercise, so I decided to run the numbers through BeerSmith. In an attempt to make the numbers nice and easy, I rounded all of the grains and sugars to the nearest quarter pound, so the percentages don't work out EXACTLY, but it's pretty close considering the round numbers.

Below is my all-grain version, and in the next post, I will put the partial mash equivalent. I am assuming 70% AG efficiency, and 75% PM efficiency.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Stone Vertical 090909 (AG)
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style:
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 49.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 51.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 74.29 %
1.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.75 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.29 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.43 %
0.25 lb Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 1.43 %
0.88 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.5 IBU
0.88 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
2.75 gm Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean (Boil 0.0 Misc
24.75 gm French Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
33.00 gm Dried Tangerine Peel (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 2.86 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast-Ale

View attachment StoneVertical090909_AG.bsm

Here you will find my PM version. Let me know if you have any questions.

Recipe: Stone Vertical 090909 (PM)
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
Estimated Color: 48.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 51.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.82 %
2.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 17.93 %
1.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 13.95 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.97 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.99 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.01 %
0.25 lb Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 2.01 %
0.88 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.6 IBU
0.54 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 4.31 %

View attachment StoneVertical090909_PM.bsm

Here's one way to do it: Start by using the percents (divided by 10) as pounds, so 73.1% would be 7.31 lb of Pale and so on. Do that for all the grains and set your efficiency (let's say you chose 80% efficiency). See what gravity you get. Now start tweeking the efficiency number until you get your target gravity. Suppose that efficiency number was 94%. Divide 94/80 to get 1.175. Now just multiply all those grain weights you used by 1.175 and there's your grain bill (or extremely close).

Here's one way to do it: Start by using the percents (divided by 10) as pounds, so 73.1% would be 7.31 lb of Pale and so on. Do that for all the grains and set your efficiency (let's say you chose 80% efficiency). See what gravity you get. Now start tweeking the efficiency number until you get your target gravity. Suppose that efficiency number was 94%. Divide 94/80 to get 1.175. Now just multiply all those grain weights you used by 1.175 and there's your grain bill (or extremely close).

Thanks so much!

Here you will find my PM version. Let me know if you have any questions.

Recipe: Stone Vertical 090909 (PM)
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
Estimated Color: 48.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 51.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 47.82 %
2.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 17.93 %
1.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 13.95 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.97 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.99 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.01 %
0.25 lb Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 2.01 %
0.88 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.6 IBU
0.54 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 4.31 %

AWESOME BROTHER!!!! Too cool of you. Try this one, the beer was unbelieveably good.

I'd love to. If anyone wants to send me one, I don't have access to Stone here in Chicago. In return, I'd be happy to send you a bomber or some of my favorite midwest beers that you may not have access to.

The real trick to this will be figuring our the tangerine peel, vanilla and all spice additions.
But I agree, It's was very good. swmbo is on my to find more. I fear for my last bottle I'm saving till 2012

As for the tangerine, I would imagine zesting a tangerine and letting it dry out would be exactly what you need (although, depending on where you live, you might have to wait for tangerines to come in to season.

I used those same Vanilla Beans (Madagascar Bourbon Island Vanilla Beans) in my Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. You can find them online (they're a bit pricey). I was able to find mine at a local spice shop for a fraction of the price. For my porter, all I did was cut them in half the long way, then again, I quartered it the long way (cut each half the long way). However, this was what I did when they went in to secondary, not flameout, but I can't imagine you'd do anything differently.

The real trick to this will be figuring our the tangerine peel, vanilla and all spice additions.
But I agree, It's was very good. swmbo is on my to find more. I fear for my last bottle I'm saving till 2012

I didn't read anything on their site that mentioned All Spice, but I might have missed something, in which case, I did NOT include that in my recipe.

Wow, this is getting confusing. I don't believe there is any ALLSPICE in this beer. The only ones it lists are vanilla and tangerine peel during whirlpool.

The 090909 is the only one I have tasted. From what I have heard, it is the best so far.

What was the 04 like?

The 04 was like a golden strong using the Orval yeast (no brett) with a kaffir lime addition. I think the 03 was pretty great as well. I should crack that other bottle of 09 that I'm not saving. I don't think I was as impressed with it, but I could have just been in a mood or something.

Wow, this is getting confusing. I don't believe there is any ALLSPICE in this beer. The only ones it lists are vanilla and tangerine peel during whirlpool.

I agree with cheezydemon3, I think we just misinterpreted. I don't think there is any Allspice in the recipe.

The 04 was like a golden strong using the Orval yeast (no brett) with a kaffir lime addition. I think the 03 was pretty great as well. I should crack that other bottle of 09 that I'm not saving. I don't think I was as impressed with it, but I could have just been in a mood or something.

:cross::D

To each their own....but....;)

ALLSPICE (no space) refers to a specific seasoning. "All spice additions" would include vanilla, tangerine peel, .....allspice;), cumin, paprika, etc.

i just ordered the specialty grains for this beer.
the stone website has the recipe listed so it should be pretty straightforward.
the recipe says what to do with the vanilla beans, tangerine peels and the oak chips/cubes.

Indeed, very cool of them. The tangerine peel was not noticeable, but I would be afraid to leave it out. Don't add more though, this brew is perfect.

well i brewed it.
was real windy outside so boiled it hard coz the flame would blow out if low. boiled a whole extra gallon off...boiled water and let cool then added back to ferementer.
let cool to 68* in ice bath and pitched. been feremnting at 68 for two days.
OG before adding the gallon was 1.094 and i'm thinking after adding the water it'll be right around 1.078-1.080...

didn't have enough tangerine peels, only like 16grams (dried) i think and i used 6 grams vanilla (almost two whole beans). hoping this beer turns out great.

how long has anyone aged a homebrew? are the caps up to long term storage?

with a reasonably high gravity brew, it should last years if your process doesn't expose the beer to oxidation.

well, pitched yeast sunday night and the beer was looking like it was finishing up...
fermented mostly at 68*, had a hard time keeping the temp any higher so i just let it sit steady at that temp mostly.

right now it's ~1.018, starting from most likely 1.078-1.080.
tastes pretty smooth, not too fruity, more clovey/spicy.

Back