Decolorized Iodine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizlyGarou

Reaction score
I bought decolorized iodine by mistake. I had no idea such a thing existed, and didn't notice it on the bottle in the store. I just tried to use it to check my conversion on my first all grain when I noticed the lack of iodine-color to it.

It changed color some, but I'm not sure if the decolorized-ness of it is going to affect the color change, but I'm assuming it will. Anybody here know if this will even work for what I'm trying to do? I can work around not having it, but I thought it would be nice to do it...

put some of it on boiled rice, pasta, flour, or potatos. If it turns blue-back, you are good to go. If not, get the regular stuff.

Kai

I tried it after about 20 minutes at 142, and the only thing that changed color was the bits of flour in the drop of wort. If there was any color change in the other three I tried, it was way to miniscule to tell.

The runnings taste like a rye lollipop, so I'm calling it good enough.

I made the same mistake with the decolorized iodine tincture because it was the only thing the pharmacy sold. Had to sign for it since people use it for drugs apparently and it turned out useless. Tried it on corn starch and nothing at all.

It is probably potassium iodide, which is colorless. In the teaching lab we use a mix of Iodine + KI for our reagent.

Corn starch might not give a positive result. I was suprised when helping my wife set up a teaching lab, that unmalted barely flour did not give a positive starch test. The flour I made from malted barley worked great! The starch needs to be "solubilized" for it to react. Malting accomplishes this.

Yup, it's ammonium and potassium iodides. And 45% denatured alcohol.

And also entirely useless for checking for conversion. No color changes any of the times I checked the temperature, and not even when I was done and used some of the sample I had in my hydrometer tube.

Now I have to go get cuts and scrapes so I can use the rest of this bottle!

Back