Decisions... keg or another batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnsfeigel

Reaction score
So I'm totally torn. SWMBO is not exactly thrilled about my new hobby so I'm on a pretty short leash on financing it. My only saving grace is that I do the budget so I can occasionally free up a few bucks. I have a little available at the moment and am trying to decide on getting a keg, or ingredients for my next batch.
Batch #2 just got dry-hopped yesterday and will be ready to bottle/keg in 7 days. I only have about 6 bombers of my 1st batch left to drink. I have plenty of bottles to put this batch up but will be buying beer for a few weeks until they're ready. I also have a kegerator, so all I need is the keg and connectors to be ready for draft.

The pros & cons:
If I get the keg, I can be drinking batch 2 a little sooner but it will be several weeks before I can get ingredients to brew again. But I'll have the keg!
If I get the ingredients, I can get another batch in the pipeline, but as stated won't have any homebrew to enjoy for the next few weeks.

If I don't make the investment on the keg now I may not have it later... but I can always bottle.

Any thoughts?

Keg. I'm in a similar situation, and I would love to have a keg...plus once you have the set up it's a lot cheaper, you just have to get the kegs...

Wives like kegs. Way less space taken up... At least until you slowly gather 10-12 kegs.

Then again I'm the wife so I get to decide anyway!

Seriously though, the keg would be nice. But could lead down a path of lots more money spent. Since you're just starting at the hobby I might do another batch or two first to see if you'll stick with it.

Getting into Kegging is expensive but soooooo worth it. If given the choice, I'd go to the kegs, just make sure so doesn't find out the price difference between a keg setup and a single batch of beer :D

Kegging is awesome..

My wife loves the DIY kegarator and likes to brag to her friends we have beer on tap.

I understand the money/budgeting problems...my solution was Craigslist to support this crazy hobby. I literally walk around the house every month and look for things to sell. Answer 3 questions: Do I use it, Will I use it, Will I miss it? If your answer no to all 3 list it!

I also pick up free lawn mowers fix them up and relist them on Craigslist. Beauty part about this 90% of them just needed to be cleaned up carb/air filter

Probably made a $1000 last spring doing this

Having secondary income will help pay and expand

Good luck

I also vote for keg. Get them until you have enough to fill your kegerator and 1 or 2 extra for conditioning while the ones in the kegerator are being used.

That or a new SWMBO...

I also vote for keg. Get them until you have enough to fill your kegerator and 1 or 2 extra for conditioning while the ones in the kegerator are being used.

Didn't think about that one... but the trick is I have a small manufactured single tap 'rator so I could only run 1 beer on tap at any time.

That or a new SWMBO...

Lol, I think my son would object. :eek:

I can fit 2 in my kegerator and I keep 1 extra for conditioning if need be.

But I also have a door full of shelves for bottles for commercial or bottled homebrew for variety.

And I could use the bottom drawer for beer if I really wanted. It currently has a few grains in it I think.

Woot, problem solved! My brewing sensei realized that he has a 5 gallon sanke that he's not set up to use at the moment that he's gonna let me borrow. Looks like I'm brewing next week after all!

Woot, problem solved! My brewing sensei realized that he has a 5 gallon sanke that he's not set up to use at the moment that he's gonna let me borrow. Looks like I'm brewing next week after all!

and you already have the fridge, the tap, the co2, and the hoses? especially since sanke connections are different than ball connections?

lumpher said:
and you already have the fridge, the tap, the co2, and the hoses? especially since sanke connections are different than ball connections?

Yeah, I actually have a store-bought kegerator that's all set up to run sanke. Just need to clean her up and I'll be all set!

Back