Decided to try an all grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfyrasng

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting ready to come back home from Iraq, and my roommate and I (we're brother-in-laws) have decided to try an all grain brew. We already have a turkey fryer, and making a mash tun seems to be relatively simple. I've done a few extract brews from the LHBS before, but nothing like this. Seems to be pretty easy though, although I can certainly see how it can quickly become more and more advanced as you get more experienced in it. Let me know if you guys think I'm making a mistake or not. I appreciate any input you may have.

AG is as easy or as hard as you make it. I am just starting to delve into the world of HERMS building a keggle over the next few weeks to go for more advanced brewing I brewed many beers using nothing more than a cooler and turkey fryer pot.... not a mistake at all IMHO.

Hey thanks jppostKW. We've already got the basic setup for doing simple extract brews with a few 5 gal buckets for fermenting and bottling. Just need something to set on the turkey fryer and the cooler/MLT. Pretty excited about it!!

Hey thanks jppostKW. We've already got the basic setup for doing simple extract brews with a few 5 gal buckets for fermenting and bottling. Just need something to set on the turkey fryer and the cooler/MLT. Pretty excited about it!!

If you dont have a pot hit up thrift stores i got my first 8 gallon aluminum one for 12 bucks! and I know the forum is always willing to help new AGers as well.

When I started ag, all I had on hand was a bunch of plastic buckets, some moderate sized pots, various hoses, and a burner. My only real initial investment was an 8gal pot. I mashed in the 8gal pot, used 2 buckets for the lauter tun (ala Papazian's instructions...if your unfamiliar with Papazian...google it, his stuff is a bit outdated, but it's a huge help when starting out). My first batch went well...and actually tasted really good too. I've upgraded over time, but I encourage you to go for it. Like your initial post suggested: It becomes more advanced as you become more experienced. Make beer, not war! And thanks for your service!

Yea, go for it. Hopefully, your brother in law is going to have some extract made homebrew on hand for you when you get home. I will be brewing a RIS to age while I deploy. Have a safe trip home and an early welcome home to you.

Thanks guys. We going to try a cream ale from norther brewer, and keg it. Two first time projects for us, as we've never done AG or kegging. We'll see how it goes, but I'm confident that it'll turn out pretty well.

Back