Decanting starter from low floc strains(wyeast3068)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larso

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to make starter from a smackpack of wyeast 3068(weihenstephaner hefe). I normally make starters in advance, let them finish, chill and decant but that seems like a bad idea with a low flocculating yeast. Whats the normal practice with a hefe weissen yeast as its very low flocculation. Surely I want the yeast that doesnt flocculate within a day or so to make it into my beer?? Does anyone know what the wyeast or whitelabs people recommend with this type of yeast?
To decant or not to? or leave longer before decanting--how long?

Thanks

L

Cold crash it for a week, decant, let it warm up before pitching. That's my usual practice. Sometimes I just make a micro starter (1 pint) and pitch the whole thing. Keep in mind that you want that yeast to pump out some esters, and nothing fuels esters quite like underpitching. Depending on the recipe, I might just skip the starter altogether.

Thx bbg, I don't intend under pitching as I like less of the estery flavours. I'll do that and make an early starter

Back