Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rOland

Reaction score
So I'm brewing right now & while rehydrating my yeast I misread my new thermometer. Instead of around of a hundred degrees, I tossed the yeast into 180 degree water!

I've got the jar sitting in the fridge, with some sugar trying to cool it and see if I can get the water to cool quickly enough.

My question is: how bad of a situation am I in? Can I salvage this yeast, or is it dead?

Currently (it's only been about 15 minutes) the yeast is sitting on the bottle of my jar, aparently doing nothing.

I think dead is the word. 110F is about the limit. I'd truck over to the LHBS and grab another packet.

Thank's guys. No LHBS unfortunately :(. On the upshot... the other ingredients have been salvaged.

Sorry about the yeast- next time you buy some, get three or four extras and keep them in the fridge, just in case. I learned that one the hard way, too.

Lorena

Since you have no LHBS and are brewing. You could use bread yeast from the grocery store. I'm not recommending it as an alternative, but is viable in an emergency where the wort will contaminate without proper fermentation. I used to brew both wine and beer successfully with bread yeast in Saudi Arabia. All that was available.

My current inventory of yeast contains 16 different vials of frozen liquid yeast cultures, 2 packs of dry S-04, 3 packs of dry S-23, 200grams of S-189 and 80 grams of US-56, and I live a 5 minute walk from my LHBS. I have more yeast than they do!

Genghis77 said:
Since you have no LHBS and are brewing. You could use bread yeast from the grocery store. I'm not recommending it as an alternative, but is viable in an emergency where the wort will contaminate without proper fermentation. I used to brew both wine and beer successfully with bread yeast in Saudi Arabia. All that was available.

mmm. I think I'd rather ditch the brew than use bread yeast.

Back