Dead Yeast - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamG

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was the victim of an untimely power outage on a 90+ degree day. Fermentation halted leaving me to believe the excess heat killed the yeast. My first thought was to add more yeast and reseal but I wanted to ask here before I made any foray into the unknown. I don't know if this makes any difference but I'll tell you what I'm working with here just in case.

I'm taking a crack at making a citrus summery mead. After having made a few successful runs with mead using concentrates I put together the following:

5lb Clementines
3lb Lemons
1.5lb Kiwi
(I ran these all through a blender so I could use the fruit itself as well as the peel and see what I wind up with... "Let's see what happens," always sounds fun to me and that's what this is all about right?)
5lb Honey
2lb Sugar in the Raw
5 Campden tablets

Going through the normal process I taste tested before and after a full boil and it tasted great to me. I let it cool naturally over 24 hours, then added two packets of D47 yeast and sealed my ferment bucket. A few days later, power outage, no more bubbles, and I don't know whether to just add more yeast or if I should start anew. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Yeast likes 90+. A lot. That should not kill the yeast. I'd normally say that the result might produce fruity notes, but considering what you have in your mead it won't matter.

No idea why you don't have bubbles. But it would be a good idea to start looking at a hydrometer. It's a better way to gauge progress.

I was the victim of an untimely power outage on a 90+ degree day. Fermentation halted leaving me to believe the excess heat killed the yeast. My first thought was to add more yeast and reseal but I wanted to ask here before I made any foray into the unknown. I don't know if this makes any difference but I'll tell you what I'm working with here just in case.

I'm taking a crack at making a citrus summery mead. After having made a few successful runs with mead using concentrates I put together the following:

5lb Clementines
3lb Lemons
1.5lb Kiwi
5lb Honey
2lb Sugar in the Raw
5 Campden tablets
D47
clementines: acidic
lemons: acidic
kiwi: slightly acidic
honey:very low nutrient availability.
d-47: workhorse but mildly nutrient dependent

I don't think the heat killed the yeast, I think they starved in a high acid low nutrient environment when the temp rise increased their activity.

I'd add nutrient and repitch with Lalvin 1116. it works well with acid and a low nutrient level.

Back