Day 4 of Caribou Slobber 1 gallon, look normal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBR97

Reaction score
First night of fermentation the wort overflowed pushing the airlock out, and clogging up the neck of the 1 gallon jug. Next day when I found it I cleaned it all up and put a clean airlock on and it hasn't had any activity since. None that I have noticed anyway. The temp is around 68 maybe a little more.

What do you think? I though I should be seeing much more activity then just the initial overflow. No bubbles rising, no foam on top...nothing.

IMG_1784.jpg

Looks fine to me, it is not uncommon for ales to mostly ferment in 3 to 4 days. The yeast then start cleaning up any byproducts of fermentation.

Airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation, on a molecular level the yeast are cleaning up and finishing fermentaion most likely at 4 days. Check gravity and see if your within range for the recipe!

I would leave it a week regardless, helps to drop out trub.

Cheers!

Looks and sounds completely normal to me. Let it go a couple more week and then it's time to bottle.

Ok just wondering cause it seems like it overflowed the first night and then nothing that I was able to see since then.

I just bottled my 1 gallon slobber kit. It did the exact same thing. I just went ahead and left it for the full two weeks.

I brewed a 5g batch of the Caribou Slobber the other day. Day two the carboy was ready to blow. I had to put a blowoff tube on that night, yet it stopped just before coming out. It slowed down quickly and appears totally settled on day 3. Must be pretty common for this ale.

Caribou slobber appears to ferment heavily at the beginning. Mine blew through the majority of fermentation within 36 hours. Mine is currently at day 9, and mostly (entirely?) done. I hope it clears out substantially--though my gravity sample tasted like a mighty fine brown ale to me (albeit warm and flat).

Yes normal/ look at the large ring of yeast on the bottom. Next time use a blow off tube and switch to airlock when it is done actively fermenting.

I seem to be the odd one out. My Caribou Slobber didn't ferment heavily. It just went pretty gradually for the better part of a week. After two weeks in the fermenter and two weeks in the bottle, I've decided it's ready to drink (just a few at a time though, to allow the others to condition further). I had one last night, and it was very good. Very malty, not much hop action, but great.

Back