Dark Rye Saison Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sillybilly

Reaction score
Working on a Dark Rye Saison recipe which is loosely based on a couple of recipes I have found online but I am curious as it looks all together. Malts are in percent because I have it sized for a 3 gal batch

72% Pilsner
18% Rye malt
6% Dark candi cugar (D-90)
3% Chocolate Rye
1% Black Patent
Rice hulls

Mashed at 150
SG roughly 1.055-1.060

Hops are Perle and Saaz to roughly 25 IBUs

Yeast is WL565 fermented to mid/high 70s then up to low-mid 80s

Some thoughts I have:

Will 18% of Rye malt make it too spicy particularly with this yeast.

Unsure of the degree roasted notes I will get but also not sure the amount I want to get.

My last two runs with the strain were fermented in mid to high 80s and finished between 1.003 and 1.004 with more traditional saison recipes and turned out tasting great; i guess i am unsure what to except with such a different recipe..

I have less than 10 brews under my belt so a lot of this is still pretty new to me, any thoughts or advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :mug:

Well you actually have 21% Rye. I do not think of spicy when I think of Rye, but maybe that is what you taste. I did a Rye IPA with 17% Rye and spicy was not what I got from it, though your yeast might give more. I haven't used it and don't know it's characteristics.

question - do you want a funky stout/porter or just a dark saison?
IMO Roasty flavors tend to clash a bit with the saison yeast.
(although I successfully did an imperial stout with WLP670) but i did cold steep the dark malts to prevent acrid and roasty flavors from dominating.

Dark saison. I was kind of leaning towards minimal roasted flavors. From my understanding, chocolate rye has a much more subtle roasted flavor than chocolate malt. Cold steeping is not a bad idea though, but I am not sure with the amount in the grain bill it would even be dominate.

I haven't used Choc Rye, but Carafa II is a good choice. cold steeping will help to reduce the harsh flavours.
Possibly add a small amount of Crystal malt

Latest posts

Back