Dark LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude76

Reaction score
I am designing a recipe for a stout that is trying to emulate Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. It is very roasty without having a coffee flavor. I think my base is about 60% dark LME and a little less than 20% light DME to boost the alcohol. I'm going to post the recipe for advice once I recover it from my old computer. I am wondering if anyone that has used dark LME can tell me if it helps with the roasty flavor and if the percentage seems about right

When I brew extract I like to have as much control over the recipe as possible, so I always use light or pils extract and then add specialty grains to get the character/color I want. Dark extracts differ from brand to brand and often have very low fermentability, so I just steer clear of them. If you already have the extract, or just really want to use it, I'll leave the advice to someone who has more experience with using it.

Back