Dark Grain question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air_Force_FE

Reaction score
Ok I am kinda in a pickle. Making a porter and I only have 8 oz black patent and I need a pound. But I have black prinz and carafa 2 which one would you use as a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What is the total grain bill? I may not sweat having only 1/2 my required amount of black patent... Even with 8 oz you're going to get the SRM for your porter, and at least some roastiness. Depending on your bill, I may just mash without replacing.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405724587.880537.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like that is well into Stout territory with that recipe. You have more than enough black for a Porter. Personally I don't like any black in my Porters, and make up the color with dark crystal and chocolate. A much smoother beer IMHO.

I'd use either Carafa or Black Prinz as a replacement, or if you have it preferably chocolate.

I would go with either the Carafa or Black Prinz but I would only add them during the sparge. That way you will mainly just get some "black".

I can't imagine that the missing 8oz would offer anything at all except color. If it were me? I would brew it with what you have and call it good! .....of course i just realized that it is 6 hours after the fact and whatever decision you've made is already in the fermenter! so... nevermind! I'm sure it will turn out great! :)

Back