Dark Candi Sugar Rocks - really 275L??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabbie

Reaction score
Im wondering if anyone has used the Dark Candi Sugar in a brew and does it really give a 275 SRM color?

Specifically I have the Brewer's Garden Belgian Dark Candi sugar rocks. BeerSmith says dark candi sugar is 275 srm and specs on websites that have it for sale do as well. I just cant believe it makes the beer that dark!

I am making a Christmas Ale tomorrow and want to use the sugar, but the recipe is showing final color as 31! Totally black. I was looking for more of a dark brown holiday stlye ale.

Other dark syrups are only 70-80 srm. :drunk:

you are better off with the syrups for flavor. The dark candi sugar is just less-refined beet sugar. The pigment is from impurities that do not provide any favorable flavor contributions. the syrup on the other hand has been caramelized to some extent, which can give nice flavors. belgian breweries mostly use the syrups and really do not sue the dark beet sugar.

Yeah, make your own. The dark candi sugar, from what I've read, really won't contribute that much color. It mainly imparts some rum notes to the brew from my experience. I give the nod to making your own.

Yep, make your own...a little citric acid, a little water and a few pounds of table sugar. Get it up to a boil and boil it until it reaches the desired color. Add that directly to boil of wort, or put on a very clean baking pan and cool it for a day or to. Then drop the pan on the table and it cracks like brittle.

I keep clear, medium and dark in my freezer.....

Back